We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

I am so upset reading the reports about the Royal not having a beach. I booked this trip in March for myself and another couple. It is their first time to Cancun. We are all beach/ocean lovers. We have no interest in the pools at all. We have those in Ohio. ;-) What other options can you recommend for the same level of service, adults only, and a great beach (at minimum swimable and able to walk the sand without shoes). We have already stayed at Royal Hideaway and ASP. Hubby does not like the hotel feel of LeBlanc.

Level Contributor
421 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

Maybe the Royal in Playa Del Carmen ?

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

If you don't mind moving out of Cancun, I would highly recommend the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Just returned on Sat and it's absolutely wonderful! Adults only, top-notch everything.....and has a very nice beach (now that they cleaned it up after Dean). We too are beach lovers; however, even their pool was great - salt water, infinity, so that you feel you are swimming into the sea.... You should check out the reviews and photos. This hotel is in the Iberostar Paraiso Complex, about 10 miles north of Playa del Carmen and is one of five hotels in the complex......tho, you probably know this)).

Yukon, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

I feel your pain slhb. We are booked for october and we are the same way, we have pools in Oklahoma! I spoke to my TA yesterday about the same situation. She recommended the royal playa del carmen, the excellence riviera maya, or iberostar grand. They all look nice. We are a group of 8 going and 4 have never even been to the area. I would hate to see them have a crappy time because of the beach. Let us know what you decide.

St. Louis (home of...
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

You have a couple of options. As a guest at the Royal, you get full use of everything at the Gran Caribe Real, so you could try their beach if the Royal's isnt any better by the time you arrive.

Another option, when you stay at one of the Royal's, you can have exchange nights between the one in Cancun and the one in Playa. Call your travel agent to verify this, but that is what the website and my travel agent said. Then, once you arrive in Cancun, if the beach is bad, you can just transfer to the one in Playa, provided there is availability. It is the slow season right now so I don't think availability would be much of a problem, but you may want check with the hotels and just explain your situation.

We have stayed at the Gran Porto Real in Playa, which is across the street from the Royal and we loved it. I thought the food was great and I am a very picky eater. As a guest at the Royal, you can use the Gran Porto as well. The Royal looked amazing and had a much better beach than the Gran (the beach wasn't great at the time). Good Luck.

5. Re: Booked at Royal Cancun, Need an alternative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 07:19