We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selvatica Zip Line Questions

TN
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Selvatica Zip Line Questions

Can anyone tell me how physically difficult the zip lines are. I recently had surgery and am very limited on using my arms. I also am unable to lift or pull with my arms. Is there anyone who has done this that can tell me what is required. I really want to do it if possible. THANKS!

Chino, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

I have not done it before and would love to, but I have heard that you may need to hold yourself up and use your upper body strength. Maybe when you get there you can ask them what they think.

Covington, WA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

I was also wondering about the weather and bugs in the jungle in December. I want to do this tour, but was wondering how humid it might be that time of year and how big the skeeters are LOL

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

To do the Zipline you need to be able to brake with your arms and this does require your arms and upper body strength, It is not difficult at all but if you have recently had surgery you may want to skip the zip.

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

You also have to hold up your body weight using the strength of your arms.I definitely don't think you could do this.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

You do not have to hold up or support your bodyweight but you do have to have strength to brake, pulldown on the cable to slow down.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

Since I did it early this year I can help. The braking is done with a gloved hand and it takes almost zero strength to slow you down or stop...as long as you can reach up and slightly behind you.

However, you are sometimes required to help lift your body up to attach to the safety cables. If you are a lightweight, then then guys may be able to do most of the work.

Once on the cables, upper body strength is largely irrelevant.

However, I will forward an email of a person I talked to so that you can discuss this with them. A frank and objective discussion should help you decide if this is suitable for you at this time.

It was a lot of fun.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

We did this zipline in August. I had shoulder replacement surgery a year ago and have very little upper body strength. Stopping and braking are no problem if you can put one hand or the other on the zipline slightly behind you.

The spotters had to assist me getting attached to the zipline at almost every station. I jumped as high as I could and they attached me.

They won't allow mosquito repellent, but we didn't see any, unlike Belize the year before. They won't allow it because you go swimming in a wonderful cenote afterwards and the water may be used for drinking.

This excursion was great and the employees were very helpful even with me, a 59 year old woman with bad shoulders!

shreveport
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

we are considering doing the zipline tour as well. is it more fun to do the zipline with the cenote swimming, or the zipline with the snorkeling?

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

Where can I get info about this zipline tour? We some in our group that probably would be interested in doing this.

Thanks!

Divamom

shreveport
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Selvatica Zip Line Questions

trigal, there are a couple that i've looked into around cancun.

1. one is selvetica canopy tours- http://www.selvatica.com.mx./

if you do a search on here you'll find reviews and other website links featuring their company. They offer half day tours coupled with biking over to a cenote for swimming, or coupled with snorkeling. They have 11 zip lines which i think is the most compared to the others.

2. garrofon park in Isle Mujeres. The zip line is over water - you climb up a tower and zip as many times as you want. other things to do in the park like reef snorkeling, and just relaxing. seems like this would be a full-day trip.

3. Joe's Jeep Adventures,

www.jeepadventures.com.mx, - this is a day trip where you tour the jungle in your own jeep, can do ziplines, and also swimming in a private cenote, tour ruins, and see a small zoo.

We cant decide between 1 & 2. (although joe's jeep tour looks like lots of fun, it's an all day thing and we're not interested in the zoo or ruins this trip).

hope this helps!