We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened to........???

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What happened to........???

the review about traveler's checks? I read it this morning and it's gone tonight. I think jimincancun started it with a reply from dangers, now there's nothing on either of their profiles. I usually use traveler's checks when I go on vacation and have only ever had trouble in Puerto Morales, which was resolved with identification. I am wondering if I should just take cash this time. I don't like to carry that much cash even with the in-room safe. I haven't found ATM machines to be convenient since I don't necessarily want to go to town to get cash. I will be staying at the Golden and have never had a problem cashing traveler's checks at the front desk or the shops there. Should I take cash.......credit card (mastercard, visa or discover?).........ATM card........or traveler's checks????

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happened to........???

There is a bank across the street near the Golden. And it will take your ATM card. Also the airport has an ATM machine too. And if you go to anywhere in the entertainment district there are ATM machines all over. As for credit cards all but Discover will work. Travelers checks are just a hassle in reality.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What happened to........???

I work in one of Canada's major banks, and we still sell LOTS of travellers cheques to our travelling clients. The only vacation destination that we don't sell our travellers cheques for is Cuba. None of our clients have come back to us after their vacations to tell us about any concerns with their travellers cheques.

I still take travellers cheques when I go to Cancun. We have no problems whatsoever cashing them at our resort - GR Solaris. The tiny bit of extra exchange that we pay when cashing them at the resort more than makes up in convenience. It is also nice to know that just in case we lose the traveller's cheques, they will be replaced for us, so we are not out any money. We are charged a small service fee to use our ATM cards in Cancun, but it is nice to know we can if we want to. We also take some small American bills to use for tipping, and if we run out of that, we just use pesos!!!

It is a very personal choice as to how you wish to fund your vacation, so please do whatever is right for you.

Have a wonderful trip!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happened to........???

There are a lot of people that feel that Travelers Checks are a waste of time, obsolete, and a major hassle. However, I disagree. We have stopped using plastic in our travels except for emergencies (don’t forget to tell your cc &/or debit card company you will be in Mexico) and pay cash. We travel with about 2 or 3 days cash and the rest in American Express Travelers Checks. We exchange the Travelers Checks at resorts with no problem and normally exchange for about 2 or 3 days expenses at a time. You can get a slightly better exchange rate away from the resort but for us it is not worth the extra hassle and stick with the rate at the resort. We have never had a problem with Travelers Checks.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happened to........???

I completely agree with Bob. Travellers checks for us, always. We just returned from a trip and while we were on the other side of the USA, our credit card was pirated, and fraudulent charges were made on it. The credit card company told me they were closing the account. I didn't have sufficient cash, and since this wasn't a trip out of the country, I didn't bother to get travellers checks. I needed to plead with the cc co. to leave the account open unitl I got home.

Finally, there are MANY on these forums that suggest you simply take an ATM card, and leave cash at home. I cannot disagree more with this strategy. Being that far from home, with a silly piece of plastic is not going to help in the event of an emergency. Think: what if?? You'd have every person standing in line at the ATM's until they were drained or useless. With cash or travellers checks, you're covered.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happened to........???

Just another travel tip - as Bob said - call your credit card company and your bank to let them know that you are travelling. If you do not call with your travel dates and destination, there is a very good chance that your credit card or debit card may be restricted due to "unusual" transactions - just your credit card company and bank trying to protect you. They want to make sure your cards have gone with you on your vacation - and not someone else's!! Also, make sure you keep all your receipts as your complete card number will be printed on them, and carefully compare them to your statement when it comes.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happened to........???

Silly question.... Did this start because someone had a problem with Travelers checks? I've never had an issue using travelers checks. My understanding is they are just like cash but if they are lost you can have them replaced?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,682 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happened to........???

Well, they are not just like cash, although the issuers would have you believe that. In my opinion, they are somewhere in the middle--not always accepted but usually they will be. They are becoming less and less used but some still like them.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,011 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happened to........???

We still bring them. I feel a lot safer carrying them than a lot of cash. We also bring out ATM card with and have used it with no problems whatsoever. HOWEVER, what if you card mysteriously doesn't work? And you have no cash or trav check? I don't like to rely on the ATM 100%. The only hassle I seem to have with trav checks is at the bank when I get them. I always get someone new who has no idea how to issue them.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What happened to........???

Just an update on this one; some whom read the original article may remember that the focus of the article was the literary licensed; "In Memoriam: the Death of Travelers Checks 1892-2006" and the corresponding story of their demise.

Today, the same author has written a retraction of sorts, a partial retraction, for international travel after receiving responses from readers whom disagreed and gave legitimate reasons why the original article was off base in certain aspects.

Amongst the countries that the writer now recommends for using travelers checks is "Mexico" as per personal choice of the traveler in case of ATM failure. The writer notes that travelers checks are widely accepted throughout Mexico in tourist destinations.

The new article from International Living.com was titled " The (Partial) Resurrection of the Traveler’s Check" playing off the premature demise headline a week earlier.

Personally, I continue to use them as a secure back up source of monetary funds along with cash and plastic.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What happened to........???

I had an annoying experience with Traveler's Checks and have not used them since. I can see the value of having them when you travel. Tuck them away for safe keeping, with the numbers in a separate, safe place and if they are stolen you get your money back.

I tend to take cash and use ATM's. I guess in the case of power outages, hurricanes, etc atm's are useless.

ALWAYS call your bank and credit card companies to inform them when you will be out of the country. (need to do that myself. 17 days woohoo!)