We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I rent a car?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Where should I rent a car?

Hey Guys - going on our first trip with our 13 month old.. where should we rent a car? Is there a 'good' dependable vendor.. should i book over the net, or should i reserve when i get there!

Thanks!!

ps - we are bringing our own car seat!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I rent a car?

Depending on where you are staying and what you plan to do, I'd suggest not renting a car. If you plan to just eat out, hang out at your resort and possibly do one trip or so, just take the bus or cabs like most people.

If you must rent a car for driving out of town, use one of the standard vendors - Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc. They are all at the airport. Book over the net, buy the extra insurance (Mexico is NOT like other countries and credit card insurance is not accepted in case of an accident unless you can charge the total cost of the car to your card - see threads on this - it's discussed constantly).

If you are arranging transfer to your resort with a transfer company just double check that they have a car seat available so you don't have to drag yours. I'm not a big proponent of dragging more than I have to on vacation. Also, remember, for anything you forget, there is a WalMart and Costco in town.

Cheryl

virginia
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I rent a car?

I have been 14 times and you could not pay me a million dollars to drive there.Especially with an infant. Do yourself a favor and wait and take the shuttle bus to your resort and get a taste of the way they drive and then decide if you want to rent a car or not. Public transportation and taxis are everywhere and very cheap. I kid you not when I say I think the road signs and stop lights are just road decor and yard art....Just my opinion.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I rent a car?

we have been many times and we would NEVER rent a car there

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I rent a car?

Yep, skip it. The buses are so good there is no need. Everything is accessible because Cancun is essentially a narrow strip of land with a road down the middle. Hotels, stores, bars etc.. all are along this road. The bus will stop wherever you like, and they come by literally every 2 minutes or so.

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I rent a car?

If you stay within Cancun and/or Isla Mujeres, no need to rent a car. It is more a burden than safety concerns. Believe me - it is.

Many Cancun hotels have limited parking and it is very unpleasant to return to a hotel and wait for a spot to clear. Parking on the street is also kind of risky - dents and scratches are common.

Since public transit is so convenient and cabs inside Cancun are inexpensive, why bother?

If you decide to take a trip to Mayan Riviera or Chichen Itza, then it is a different story. But then just rent for a day or two that is needed.

6. Re: Where should I rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 15:17