We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America car rental

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
442 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
America car rental

Hi,

we have reserved a car through america car rental. They have all the insurance added in and though it is alot it appears to be the best deal around for the 11 days we will be in cancun and merida. just wondering if others have any eperience with the company-positive or negative

Thanks

k

354 replies to this topic
Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: America car rental

I am thinking about reserving from them or from cancunrentacar.com as they also have the insurance included. I have no experience renting from either although ive rented from Hertz cancun airport and it was a terrible experience top to bottom. I read the fine print on the America Car Rental Insurance section and you should find out if the extra $ for the 0 deductible is a per day of 15.50 or one time fee. I think im going to go with www.cancunrentacar.com as their insurance is all 0 deductible. Let me know how it works out for you,.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
442 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America car rental

I did email america to ask if it is $15 a day extra or one time fee. I will let you know/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
442 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: America car rental

Coin prince-thanks for letting me know about the fine print about the 0% deductible on america car rental-after reading your post I did some research and decided to pay the extra and go with cancun car rental. This way I know I am covered, including zero deductible! I'd rather be safe than sorry-thanks!

KC

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America car rental

After hearing a lot of negative reviews about car rental companies, the high prices or prices that did not match estimates or 'alleged' damage when you turn the car back in I was glad to have found this one (cancunrentacar.com). It spells out all upfront costs and includes full insurance (0 deductible

for collision). Any of the other car rental companies including the big names at the

airport were almost impossible to pin a price down on. One of them (think it was hertz)

had a $700 estimate with the insurance while cancunrentacar.com total price was $408 for a fullsize. The office is a 5 minute drive from the airport. At the airport they will have their sign/symbol with your name on it. You show up at the office, sign the paperwork, look over the vehicle, and off you go.

When looking over the vehicle, do NOT be shy about pointing stuff out, although they readily were marking stuff down and looked in the trunk to verify the spare and jack.

The full-size they provided was a Nissan Sentra which seemed a little small for a full size but it ran good. When were turned the car back in, there was no monkey-business, they looked the car over, verified the spare and jack and took us back to the airport.

Bottom line - seemed to be a reputable company as they completely honored the rental agreement.

Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America car rental

joey125....sent you a message.

But to speak to the forum post, I have rented many times in Cancun, with Hertz, Alamo, Budget etc. It seems there is always a glitch of some sort. We rented from Alamo one time, and even though there where supposed to open till midnight, we got there at like 11 and they were totally closed. Had to flag down a guy washing cars behind the gate, and he was nice enough to give us a ride to the hotel, and the next day we had to go to one of the Mall offices and get shuttled for the pickup. Last year with Budget, they had just moved to an off airport site, and nobody knew where they were and there was nobody around to take us to the location when we finally found out where it was. It was about 10 minutes or so away, and I just happened to spot it as were being taken down the road to where the guy who drove us, thought it was.

So....bottom line is, I am considering CancunCanRental also, and hope for a better experience with one of the lesser know companies.

Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: America car rental

KC--How was your car rental from cancunrentacar? I will be down in Cancun on Wednesday and Ill let you know how my experience was. Fingers crossed!

provincetown
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: America car rental

The following is what I'm posting about this company as my recourse for the misery I've been through. Heed the warning:

America Car Rental is a car rental company in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, and it is unprofessional, corrupt and some of the employees are downright rude. We rented from Orbitz for a good price and when we got there we were informed we would have to pay double the price on our confirmation form because of undisclosed fees. The attendant had no sympathy for the fact that the real price of the rental was not advertised. I'm sure he deals with it on a daily basis, because they are specific fees related to Mexico's laws, and it seems as if his pat answer is complete rudeness and a "too bad for you" attitude. We were off to a bad start and it only got worse. After two weeks, we had an accident in Chiapas, Mexico which is fairly far from the offices in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. When the accident happened we immediately called the car company only to be told we would be called back. After two hours of negotiating with the guy who hit us and trying to get a police report, we finally had to leave the town we were in to protect ourselves. The car company called us back TWO HOURS LATER and were obviously verbally mad at us for not waiting at the site. We drove for the next two weeks without a side mirror and with a smashed up car because they had no means of replacing it. We were never informed that the only to outlets were in Quintana Roo. We tried to return the car early so that we could get all the paperwork for our insurance company before we left Mexico, but America Car Rental never called us back and would not accept the car early. They would not supply any documents we needed before leaving the country. In fact, they put our bags in another car and whisked us off to the airport four hours before our flight, saying that it would be fine, that my card would not be charged for the repairs until I was notified and the paperwork was sent. However, they proceeded to charge my card $2,800 before I even arrived home! The ensuing months have been an INCREDIBLE expense and they STILL are not cooperating with the paperwork needed for the insurance. I still have not gotten a repair bill, an itemized list of what needed to be repaired and how much it cost and now they have charged my card nearly $4000 which I tried to dispute. In the dispute, they supplied falsified information to the credit card company so VISA dropped the dispute. America Car Rental copied my signature onto documents I didn't sign and sent it to VISA. They are stubborn, rude and corrupt. I would suggest that NO ONE rent from them, no matter what, even if it's for a few days and there's not another car in Cancun--take a cab or bus if you have to. My horror story isn't the only one. I've heard many about this particular car company just from aquaintances--all relating to some minor damages. I really hope they get their act together, or else fold before they put anyone else in this miserable situation.

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: America car rental

Do not rent from America Car Rental (Cancun, Playa) and beware when you rent from other no-name rental agencies.

We paid for our car rental in $222 cash, received a receipt, and were on our way.

A week later, upon returning the car in perfect condition, we were given $122 back and told that one of our $100 was deemed fake when they took it to the bank to deposit it. We were told our credit card would be charged for $222. (they already had our cc info from the required deposit)

We asked for the fake bill so we could take it to our bank, they no longer had it. We asked how they knew it was OUR bill that was fake, they said they took all deposits in separate envelopes. We asked why they didn't contact us when this was deemed counterfeit, as they had our contact info. We asked why they accepted the payment and issued us a receipt. We asked to speak to the manager, and were told that he is never reachable.

1) Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say the bill was indeed counterfeit.....as a business, it is either their responsibility to equip themselves with the tools needed to determine counterfeit money, or else suck up the loss.

2) It's likely this is a scam. They showed us a black and white document from their bank with a stamp, which doesn't prove anyting. They could have a friend with a stamp, or that bill could have been anybody else's, including one of the employees, and they let us take the fall.

We were disgusted and sickened by this. Heed it as a warning!..We are disputing the charges with our CC company, and hope to have a happy ending.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: America car rental

We rented a car from American car rental in Playa Del Carmen and had a great experience. We arranged for pick-up and drop off at the resort. They were there on time. We went to the office to do the paper work that took maybe 30 minutes. The car was a 2008 midsize Altitude. The on line booking rate was $46 per day with insurance. For $10 more per day we decided to add the no deductible option brining the cost to $56 per day. We signed the blank credit card form but had it returned to us after the car was returned. They were friendly and helpful in providing us with excursion information. Base on this experience, I would use the again. The car ran great. We went to Chichen Itza and points in between.

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: America car rental

This message is for Kooljammin, I hope you get this.

Anyway, I was just wondering if they ran your credit card for the deposit?

They ran ours, and although the deposit is still pending, it worries me, because it's been depending for over a week. I don't know why they haven't taken it off, as the car was returned in fine condition.

Anyway, I was just wondering what your experience was with this. Thanks.

Reply to: America car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted