We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches with great sand and ocean???

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west coast USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches with great sand and ocean???

Where would you suggest staying in January for great beaches and going in the ocean? I've read a lot about beach erosion and rocks and want to be sure the area we pick (if we decide on Cancun area) will be lovely.

What can you tell me about the beach area for Esencia, LeBlanc, Dreams, Mayakoba? Also, if we stay at any of these locations, are we close enough to areas to walk around and eat beyond the hotel (I realize some are AI, but we'd head out for some meals as well).

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches with great sand and ocean???

Just got back from a week at Riu Caribe.

Excellent choice especially if you are looking for a great beach!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches with great sand and ocean???

The beach at the tip of the 7 between Dreams and the Riu Palace las Americas was great and had very little erosion when I was there a couple of months ago. A little farther north the entry is only a few feet deep for at least a hundred yards out. There is also a broad band of clear turquoise water in this area. The Riu Caribe has a nicer beach, but the water is not as pretty there.

The water is calm in this area. If you wanted bigger waves you should go somewhere a little south of here. We visited the public beach area between the Hilton and Crown Paradise but found the sand to be much coarser than previous years. It seemed as if the top layer of white powdery sand was temporarily washed away.

The area around Dreams would also be the best location as far as being within walking distance to restaurants and clubs.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches with great sand and ocean???

I just posted a review of the Riu Caribe with photo's showing the beach.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
628 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches with great sand and ocean???

The beaches near Puerto Morelos are in great shape.

We just stayed at the Solymar(south hotel zone) this past October and the beach was there, but not in good shape.

5. Re: Beaches with great sand and ocean???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:23