We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On TSA ??'s

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Carry On TSA ??'s

I really want to pack just carry on bags for our trip to cancun in March. I have read the TSA web site and still have a few questions. If I can carry on a bag and a purse, can I have a clear quart sized bag in each? Will they not allow lip gloss in a purse without it being a quart sized bag? Also, what about regular solid deodorant? Is that suppose to be a zip locked bag too? Thanks.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

It is one quart sized bag per person, not per bag..Here is from the tsa.gov site....

The following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols carried through security checkpoints.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.

Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

nope. ONE quart sized back per person, not per piece of carry on luggage. 3-1-1.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,880 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

It's really rather simple. Just get a 1 quart size bag per traveller and have each person put anything gel or liquid into the bag. All sizes must be under 3 ounces in size (basically sample sizes). When you go through security, each person puts their baggie in the bin with their shoes and carryon.

Cheryl

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

I would suggest you skip the 'carry on only' idea and check your baggage. People with too many carry ons make things very difficult for other passengers and flight crew, boarding, stowing, room for others carry ons, delaying take off, I could go on. What is your reasoning for not checking baggage?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,880 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

bellasogno, I'd missed that! Glad you caught it. Airlines are not allowing more than 1 carryon per person these days and were adhering to that rule closely this past week. We saw many people having to give up bags and repack at checkin as well as having things checked at the gate on boarding. Why cause that hassle? The only time I hate to check bags is when I have connections and I'm afraid they'll loose my luggage. If you have a charter or direct flight, why stress? Just check your bag.

Cheryl

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

Personally, if I could get away with carry on only I would. Saves time once you arrive in Cancun not having to wait for your luggage. Saves the worry about lost or delayed luggage.

Having said that, I do agree that some people try to bring carry ons that are really NOT carry on sized. People should bring the minimum amount absolutely necessary onto the plane with them. I bring a book, my swimsuit (transfers, hotel reservation/confirmation), a change of clothes and any paperwork I need so that if my checked bags are delayed/lost I can get by for a couple of days.

What we also do is split our belongings into both suitcases. Half of mine in his, half of his in mine.

I don't fly all that often but I read flyertalk and know what I need to do at checkpoints so I don't hold up the line and I know what to do on the plane. Stow my stuff quick and sit my a$$ down.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

As for a carry-on vacation...go for it. If you can travel light and meet the restrictions on carry-ons for your airline (eg one carry-on and a personal item), then you can do it.

Obviously don't loiter as you are boarding but so many people do anyway. If you quickly stow your bag, step in the seat area so others can get by you if needed to finish stowing your carry-on overhead, you are not impeding the boarding process.

I went this way on my last trip with scuba gear (no BC) and I was out of the Cancun airport within 15 minutes of getting off the plane.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

I travel with one carry on and a purse all the time. It can easily be done if you aren't the type that needs to bring 5 pairs of shoes for a week long vacation. Pick out your outfits the week before and make sure you can mix and match your coordinates. Most resorts supply shampoo/conditioner so those are two items to leave out of your plastic bag. You can also give items to your travel partner if their plastic bag isn't full. I don't have any issues with taking time to get on the plane either. Get on, put your bag overhead and your purse below the seat and when you de-plane enjoy the extra hour of time at the resort while everyone else stands at the baggage carosel.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

To the original poster....Cancun is definitely one of those places where you'd love to get by with carry-on only. Saves time checking in bags, saves time retrieving checked luggage (and Cancun baggage handlers are notorious for being slow).

There is a Wal-Mart in town with good prices on toiletries, etc. (+sunscreen) that you need. So, if you can do it, do it.

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry On TSA ??'s

Thank you for you feedback. We are trying to make this a no-brainer vacation. That is why we are flying to Cancun in the first place. No rental cars, no decisions about where to eat or even what to wear. We have direct flights from Seattle once we get there from little Walla Walla airport! My connection is only about 40 minutes and I don't want to risk my bags not making it. Everytime we go somewhere tropical we always pack way to many cloths and end up wearing our swimsuits and only a couple of outfits. So we really want to pack just carry on bags this time. We aren't planning on doing any excursions, I will be 26 weeks pregnant when we get there. This is a little get away for my husband and I before the second baby arrives. A much need break from reality. We are staying at GR Solaris and plan on sitting on the beach and eating for 6 days!

Okay, I understand that some of you don't want me to dilly dally on the airplane while stowing my carry on and purse, but I still don't know if my solid deo needs to be in my 1 quart bag or not!