We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling- need advice please!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling- need advice please!

I am going to Cancun with a small group for a few days. We don't want to spend a lot of time snorkeling on one of those day trips, rather we'd like to hang out on a nearby beach and rent gear.

Does anyone know where you can rent snorkeling gear and/or where there are some decent snorkeling spots or beaches near the hotel zone? Thanks so much!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

I don't know where you can find decent snorkeling in the hotel zone but I will throw out the idea of doing the Jungle Tour. It is only two hours long and the times start early morning through evening. You will go out in a two person speed boat and snorkle out in the ocean. The snorkeling was really decent when we did it. You can book that trip the day of or the night before depending on if it's busy season or not.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

The only place near the hotel zone that I can think of for snorkeling is punta nizuc (near club med) I have no clue if you can rent gear there. Depending on where you are staying, you may have use of snorkeling gear.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Isla Mujeres. Yes, it's day trip, but you can do it on your own, and it's really got a lot of the same thing Cancun offers, just on a smaller, more laid back scale.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

Would you recommend snoreling near Garrafon?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

Cancun is known for its great beaches and partying..Both are not good for snorkeling...Take a ferry to Cozumel or Isla Mujeres for some great snorkeling...You have come this far...

chicago il
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

I have used aqua world in the past they have many choices 1 i do every year is to punta nizuc they take you on a boat then to a stationary boat at the park.you can stay as long as you like the boat returns every hour.a guide takes you out it is very nice.There are beverages on the boats.Isla is a must day trip we also do that every year on our own .They give you a snorkle and yes you can rent gear.have a great trip!!

San Antonio
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

Where is the best snorkeling in Isla Mujeres? Can we rent equipment? Or maybe we should buy some from Costco??

chicago il
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

Hi i have my own but i would invest a few bucks at your local dive store to get a mask and snorkel they will fit you properly fins you can rent i never bring mine unless i am diving.have a great trip!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

SAGIRL, the best place to snorkel on Isla, IMHO, is at Garrafon de Castillo, right next to Garrafon Park. It's only a few pesos, a fraction of the cost of the Park, and you'll see the same fish. Nice set up - quiet, food & beverage available, but nothing fancy. If you’re just interested in some relaxation and snorkeling, this is the spot. If you're wanting zip lines, more activities, and paying more, check out the Garrafon Park.

iowa
Level Contributor
373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

We have snorkeled three times while in Cancun...both at Puerto Moreles and Isla. By far, Puerto Moreles is better snorkeling because of seeing way more fish and way more varieties too. Last year, we booked a Morning Glory Snorkel tour at our hotel because we too, did not want to spend a whole day away from the hotel/beach. It was around $65. They picked us up at the hotel approx. 8:00 and drove us to Puerto Moreles. All the equipment we needed was provided...except you need a towel. We snorkeled a shallow snorkel and a deep one. It was absolutely awesome!!!! We were done in a couple of hours. They provided us a sandwich/chips/drink to eat on the way back to the hotel. We were back on the beach by 1:00. We are planning to go back next year with the kids and they already have said they want to do this tour again! Make sure you buy just a cheap underwater camera because we got some great pictures of some really pretty fish, baracuda, sting rays, etc. Have fun!

10. Re: Snorkeling- need advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 23:17