We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Groveland...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

We are so looking forward to our first trip to Cancun! We will be staying at the JW Marriott. My husband and I are seasoned travelers, but this will be the first time out of the US with our 4 and 6 year old boys. Below is the itineray. What do you think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, Feb. 25th

Arrive, pick up rental car at airport

Stop at Walmart for snacks, drinks

Relax

Dinner – Senior Frogs - Anyone know what time the kids party starts?

Thursday, Feb. 26th

Beach/Pool

Dinner – Kids Party at Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville" - Anyone know what time the kids party starts?

Friday, Feb. 27th

Drive to Chichen Itza

What else is there to do in this area to take up the day?

Saturday, Mar. 1st

Isla Mujeres

Sunday, Mar. 2nd

Tulum

Xcaret

Monday, Mar. 3rd

Beach

El Ray

Dinner – Pirate Dinner Cruise

Tuesday, Mar. 4th

Crococun Zoo

La Isla shopping mall

Wednesday, Mar. 5th

Home

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

Sounds like a great trip. The only thing you may consider are ziplines such as at selvatica.com.mx or in combination with a cenote like at Hidden Worlds. Actually your kids may be too young for ziplines. You need to look into it and determine if it is suitable.

There may be a cenote on the way to C. Itza.

Use lots of sunscreen.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

WOW! You are going to be busy!!! I don't know about the times for the kids parties start. The only activity that we have done on your itinerary is Isla Mujeres. It is wonderful! Rent a golf cart and tour the island. There is also a turtle farm there (we didn't do it, but your kids may like it). Have a great trip. Sorry I'm not of much help.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

You cannot climb the main structure at C. Itza but can at Coba if that matters.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

The drive to and from CI will take up the rest of you day. About 3 hours each way.

Labrador
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

My 1 suggestion would be to throw a rest day in there somewhere. Being on your feet all day in the 90 degree sun really saps your energy. At some point during the trip I think you're going to need to just relax around the pool and take it easy. Otherwise, looks like a great lineup of activities.

windsor
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

it tends to get hotter in Chichen Itza than in cancun, so be prepared!

There's a little shop if you want to buy anything, but look out for kids jumping out of the bushes out of no where, that happened to my mom, all of a sudden she was holding some artifacts in her hand. they said they sneak in to the area to sell the artifacts and you will get a good deal. The shops buy these from them and then sell them to you at a higher price.

I went to Isla mujeres on a little day trip, and they gave a good deal because it was 5 of us, you just have to ask. we took the boat that leaves from fat tuesdays. We had fun, there was a live band on the boat and drinks, once you get to the island we went to the turtle farm, and you also get to chose from a few activities you would like to do. I went snorkeling with my step dad and my mom and little brother went to see a shark and went on a glass bottom boat i think? there was also a great buffet. We then went back on the boat and they dropped us off in an area full of shops and we were there for a little while before heading back. it was a great day trip. we bought the tickets the day before.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

I agree about Chichen Itza--this trip will take the entire day. Leave for Chichen early because it gets very hot and very crowded later in the day--neither a good thing for kids. You might enjoy a stop in Valladolid for lunch on the main square on your return trip.

ireland
Level Contributor
348 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

I agree about getting to Chichen Itza early. We arrived in the evening and spent the night in Hacienda Chichen[ fabulous] We went to the ruins at 8 the following morning with a guide and had the place more or less to ourselves. When we were leaving at 12 to swim at our pool crowds of people were pouring in and it was very very hot.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

As far as Senior Frog's..You might try this for info..

Using smoke signals is still the most effective way of reaching us. But we've heard there have been some technological innovations that have made communicating even easier. We're not sure we believe this, but here they are anyway. (Email and phone numbers listed)

Corporate Headquarters

Blvd. Kukulcan Plaza la Isla T-I Local 5

Zona Hotelera

77500 Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico

Phone: (52) 998 883·17·22

Fax: (52) 998 883·14·11

E-mail: virtualconcierge@andermail.com

Corporate website: www.grupoandersons.com

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Itinerary - What do you think?

Sounds like a fun and exciting (but busy week)!

My only thought would be that it sounds like a bit too much, lol. We went for 2 weeks with a 4 turing 5 yr old and we didn't do that many things over 14 days, lol.

Out of your list we have done Xcaret (did this for 1 entire day but were too tired to stay for the evening show) and Crococun Zoo. Both were fabulous and we have considered returning to both in a few days when we arrive.

We are only bringing one child with us this trip (leaving the younger child at home!) and we actually have nothing planned, lmao! We figure we will get up each day and decide if we want to venture out each day. For us this will depend on if our child makes any friends and enjoys the kids activities and therefore will want to spend more time at the resort.

My best advice - take 1 or 2 items off of your list and plan to do those things on your next trip :-) and book again as soon as you can! We are VERY active people but our vacation time is our relaxing time!