We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
What currency?

Coming from the U.K. We are freqent visitors to the U.S. so have dollars, which we are used to. Can we use them in Cancun and surrounding area? Do we need to bring pesos? Will U.S.dollars be acceptable for tips when we first arrive? What is the tipping code, for example how much to the bellman when we arrive at the hotel, in retaurants, for taxis etc. Are credit cards widely used, and which ones, Visa? Mastercard?

manchester UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency?

We took Peso's and Dollars, but wish we just took Dollers, $ are excepted everywhere and it just makes life eaiser. We tipped the bellboy $20 and for the remainer of the 2 weeks he was ever so helpful! He would tell us where things are outside the resort and how to get there etc.... :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
626 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency?

Best to use credit cards whenever you can. Where dollars are accepted for tips, the poor recipient has to trade them for pesos and pay the spread between buy and sell. Pesos are best. If you have a debit card, get them from an ATM.

We stay at the Royal Sands. Their price pesos for dollars beat the ATM on small (up to around $100 USD) purchases because our home bank charges an ATM access fee and 2%.

Enjoy.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency?

Change will be in pesos. No need to bring pesos, can use ATM to withdrawl money. Think 20 pesos to the pound, about 10 pesos in one US dollar.

Tipping: My estimates

Person that takes bags to rooms- 50 pesos for 2 people (usually carry my own bags though ;)

Housekeeping- couple of dollars a day, maybe 30-50pesos

Restaurants- I tip the same as at home 15-20%. In small local places, I am torn. 35 peso bill you could round up and leave 40 pesos. If the service was good I would leave 50.

Lots of past info on the forums. Have a great trip!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency?

We always take pesos to Mexico, pretty easy to get here in USA. My wife likes to deal with street vendors and we think they do better in pesos. in USD they control exchange rate.

I like to have local currency wherever we travel.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
577 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency?

We are taking lots of one dollar bills, but do we need pesos to ride bus???

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency?

SA,

I did a quick search on here. You can pay with dollars, but don't expect correct change or any change at all.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k854487…

7. Re: What currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:19