We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

We're thinking of a 4 night Memorial Day get away to this property. My questions are:

1. Is there shade at the pool?

2. How is the food?

3. How are the drinks?

4. Would you recommend this to 2 adults without children (we don't mind kids).

Thanks for your help!

Saint Louis, MO
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

I was there in December 2006. I loved it! To answer your questions...

1. There is some shade around 3:00pm. Of course, this was in December, so I'm sure it will be a bit different in May.

2. The food was average. It did get a bit old after a week, but if you utilize all of your options, you will be just fine. The buffet is pretty standard. They make delicios pizzas and club sandwiches at the pool-side bar. Room service is pretty good too, and you're allowed to order it once daily.

3. The drinks are a bit watered down. Don't be afraid to ask for a double to fix this problem. Besides that, they are all delicious! My husband and I tried to taste every drink on the menu! The menu was a really nice touch in case you get stuck and can't think of anything to order. Try the "Toasted Almond", it was fabulous!

4. I would definitely recommend this resort to you! My husband and I almost went back this December, but decided to go a different route at the last minute because we heard that the beach had disappeared. This problem may be resolved in time for your trip, but if it's a deal breaker, you will want to do your research. The resort is absolutely beautiful. It was like a dream!

Good luck and have a great trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

I just got back, so I'll try and answer your questions as well.

1. Get up early and grab a bed. They are uber comfortable and they will protect you from the sun...if that's what you want. Other than that, as the previous poster mentioned, the sun begins crossing over the resort around 3:00.

2. The buffet is standard. Breakfast is really good and the pizzas, burgers, etc are good at the pool bar. I do have a great suggestion. If you can afford it and if it's available, do an upgrade. I upgraded to the 6th floor VIP area for $50 a night. This gave me a new beautiful room with ocean view, liquor dispensor, iPOD station, massive bathroom, access to the VIP lounge wich had every liquor imagineable, snacks and free internet all 24 hrs. The biggest bonus with the upgrade is that you can use all the facilities at the posh ROYAL next door. The restaurants are fabulous and require no reservation. I had filet mignon 3 times...and it was delicious. It is an adults resort so if you want peace and quiet just use the pool there. That being said I preferred the overall atmosphere at the Gran Caribe...more energy and less stuffy for my taste. Basically, you get the best of both resorts.

3. The drinks were great. If they are not strong enough...just say "mas fuerte"...just be careful though, they can get really strong. The beer is Dos Equis on tap which I loved. When you get tired of the beer and margaritas, try a "dirty monkey" or a "victoria's secret".

4. The hotel is simply fantastic and you will have a great time. The pool activities are a riot and the service is second to none. You will enjoy it all.

have fun

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

safado,

WOW. I just called the 800 number they said what you did doesn't happen. I'm not doubting you, just trying to get some more information. Can you explain how that all worked? What color bracelet did you have?

Because if I could book the GCR 6th floor rooms and use the amenities at the Royal, I would save myself a HUGE amount of money!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

Meg,

That's exactly right. You would have saved a lot of money. Now I'm not saying it happens every time; perhaps it depends on who is at the front desk, if there are any rooms available on the 6th floor, etc.

I knew about the upgrade game and just asked. $50 a night for the sixth floor and you can use all the facilities next door. We were given the clear ROYAL bracelets and enjoyed the restaurants there every night...the food was marvelous and our room on the 6th floor of the GCR was really great.

We spent more of our time at the GCR because we enjoyed the atmosphere much better, but the ROYAL is a gorgeous hotel.

As well, I called about a month earlier and could have upgraded to a room in the ROYAL. I talked them down to $120 a night extra, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. I'm glad I waited until I got there.

5. Re: Gran Caribe Real Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 10:19