We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

Winnipeg
6 posts
Save Topic
Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

I need some experienced advice. My girlfriend and I are going to Cancun for the first time and I want to spend a day on isla mujeres.

We want to take the first ferry out, rent one of those golf carts (or scooters if they have), go swimming with the dolphins, go snorkelling, and then relax on the nicest white powdered sand/blue turquoised water beach on the island. Maybe even grab dinner on the island depending on how much time we have.

I have no idea how to plan this, I do not have maps or locations of this island. Sounds like a really exciting adventure....but i don't want to spend half my day on the island asking for directions. Do I have to book the dolphins and snorkelling in advance?if so, how long in advance?

Can someone please help me make this a special day for her...it is very important to me.

Thank you soo much for your help.

P

St. Louis
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

We booked our day trip at our resort when we got there. Reserve your spot early though. We had so much fun. I know you can just book it through Aquaworld in Cancun as well. The boat ride over to the island is so much fun. The do a little skit and it is just fun. We had lunch through the trip on the island and it is the best lunch we had the whole week. We did not do the golf cart. The streets are so crowded and if you are in the downtown area or the main street you are better off just walking to be honest. I am not a real fit person but I had no issues getting around. I had back surgery a few years ago and am just knew when to take a sit down. I think you guys will really love the island. The best shopping for jewelery is on the island as well. Hope this helps!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

Check out dolphindiscovery.com

There are a number of differant options to choose from.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

For a great map go to mapchick.com They are like a mini tourbook and map rolled into one.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

Instead of a group tour or one booked through a hotel, IMO, I would just do it on your own. That is what we did last year from Cancun (and we just got back from 1 week on the island this year). I too would suggest the mapchick map. It is great and only $7-9 dollars. Like mentioned, it is it's own tour map with basically everything and anything you would want to know, go, see, ect . . . on the island. I would take the local bus to downtown and then a taxi to the Puerto Juarez ferry (or a taxi straight to the Puerto Juarez ferry dock would be easier). I would than buy a one-way ticket ($3.50 per person) on the blue and yellow Ultra Mar ferry. They run every half an hour from early am (we took the 8 or 8:30 am, but I think they start earlier than that) and enjoy the 20-25 minute ride to IM! Renting a golf cart if fun (they have scooters their too. I hear there are a lot of accidents with them. The driving is "interesting" to say the least. Personally, I'd stick with a golf cart. They have bicycle rentals too). A gold cart is about $15.00 per hour or around $50.00 from 10 am-5pm. The island is only 5 miles long and a half a mile wide. Playa Norte is the most popular beach (walking distance about 5-10 minutes from the ferry dock). I heard Punta Sur (on South beach) is beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn't get there. Garrrafon is an all inclusive day park. Maybe something to consider. (all you can eat, drink, snorkel, kayak, zipline 3 times, hammocks, infinity pool). We didn't do the dolphins, but I'd probably book ahead of time. On our day trip, we stayed until about 9pm. It is wonderful! There are a lot of great restaurants right on the beach and on the main avenue called Hildago. (Some restaurants we enjoyed were Don Chepo and Bucaneers on Hildago and Buho's and Picus both of the beach). There are tons to choose from! I think you'll have a great time. I'd plan on spending the whole day, enjoying the golf cart (or scooters) and getting the map for thorough information.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

I just received my Isla Mujeres map, as well as one for Cancun from mapchick.com....They are GREAT...well worth the 8.00 each. I can't wait to go and actually explore everything that we have now mapped out to do using them.

6. Re: Planning Day Trip to Isla Mujeres! Snorkelling, Dolphins....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 09:17