We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

This question is to anyone and everyone that has stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM). My husband and I are looking at staying July 2-July 6 and I am concerned that it is in the middle of nowhere. If you want to check out anything outside of the resort, do you have to take a cab everywhere or is there some other things around you can check out by foot? We don't plan on doing much outside of the resort, but my husband is thinking that we should stay in Playa del Carmen where there is more to do besides stay at the resort all day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Just returned from EPM and we loved it. You are right though. Other than walking on the beach if you want to see or do anything else then you would have to take a cab. It really is pretty secluded at this time.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,395 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Personally, I think the seclusion adds something to the experience. Being on the main strip in Cancun would be a nightmare to us as it is just one big concrete jungle

Ontario
Level Contributor
795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Flipflop Man is right. We drove through the hotel zone and it is definitely not for us. Loved being off by ourselves.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

We are just trying to decide on staying at EPM or somewhere more near Playa del Carmen. Does EPM offer shuttle service to Cancun or Playa del Carmen. We are also looking at Secrets Capri and El Dorado Royale. The EPM rooms and property just look amazing so it is hard to not stay there just because of location. Did anyone book excursions (ATV, deep sea fishing, etc.) while staying at EPM? If so, do they pick you up at the resort? This could also cause some problems for us. Thanks for the help!

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

ERC is about 20 minutes from Playa Del Carmen. They have a shopping trip once or twice a week where they will have a shuttle going there for free. Puerto Morelos is a five minute drive, half hour walf from ERC and is a little fishing town. If you are planning on seeing ruins I would stay at ERC because they are closer to them (although still pretty far)

Alberta
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Does anybody know how far from EPM is the ferry you can take to get over to the island? Is it walking distance or not? And is it worth doing over there?

Thanks!

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

M Cherry

Was at EPM beginning of Feb..It is awesome..though very secluded. They do offer shuttle to Cancun on Tuesday's at 4 or 5 PM and return at 10 PM. I see that you are also considering El Dorado Royale. I was there last year and EPM wins hands down!

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

We were there last week. Have also stayed at Oocidental Royal Hideaway - Playa del Carmen which is just a typical little Mexican although slightly upscale town. You know...been there...although if you're into things like Mayan ruins it's at least an hour closer.

EPM wins out completely for us although it is secluded - about 25 minutes from Cancun, but other than the night life, who in there right mind would want to go there? We loved walking on the beach without anyone else around.

We were concerned about wanting to go places but once we were there none of us wanted to leave.

Our kids did go scuba diving off coast of Isla Mujeres and the entertainment staff arranged for a trip to a famous Cancun bar for the kids at $50 a piece. That included drinks, so not a bad deal. There was an arranged shopping trip but we didn't want to go.

We went to Isla Mujeres...about $7 cab ride to ferry and $3.50 on 20 minute ferry but it was a bit disappointing...hot, busy, dirty. Really just wanted to get back to the luxury...why leave quiet, serene, cleanliness, good food for who knows what?

My husband played an expensive round of golf and quite liked the course but we really enjoyed just chilling for once. It turned out to be a treat even for our 22 and 23 year old sons and their friends. We were never bored.

Boston MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

We thought the seclusion would drive us a little stir crazy too, and we did check out day trips before our trip. But after thoroughly enjoying ourselves for a couple of days, we were content just staying put at EPM. You can make it as busy or as relaxing as you choose. There are many options for day trips right from the resort if you choose. There is a nice bike tour offered by EPM with a couple of jaguars to see!!! Just remember that although the resort itself is secluded, there are so many things to do only minutes away, in most cases.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Question

Did anyone stay in the regular junior suite? If so, would you recommend that room or a swim up suite? The difference is about $40/night USD or the rooftop room is about $80/night USD. Just didn't know if the price difference is really worth it since the regular junior suites look so nice.