We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Parnassus -last week of March

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Great Parnassus -last week of March

I am glued to the reviews but so far most still seem to be in the negative arena. Has anyone recently returned that can give an update on the hotel and shed some positive information? Also did you notice if the "bumping" problem was still occuring? We are a family of 4 with a 6 and 9 year old so a family style resort is important to us on this trip. If bumping occurs I would like to be prepared. Can you give me a list of family style resorts that would be comparable. Lastly, which resorts should we absolutely refuse to be bumped too? Thanks for you help. This is my first post but I am definately a frequent visitor to this site as we have about 19 more days to go!

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

I will also be staying at the GP the end of March. It looks like a lot of hotels are sold out thru Sat March 29th, with some relief by the 30th. We (2 adults) arrive on the 27th (Thursday), I think the chances of being bummed are very high. I heard the Flamingo and Riu are two popular hotels to be bummed to. Flamingo had very bad reviews! The Riu was much better. It's smart to get all your 'ducks in a row". Good luck!

Indiana
Level Contributor
220 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

We are arriving 3/26 for a week stay. We have been going to Cancun for spring break for 12 years and have been bumped only once. We have a 7 & 10 year glad to see there will be kids around their age.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to get my "ducks in a row":) I told my husband about the "bumping" issue and he looked at me like I was crazy! I hope in the end I am crazy and check in runs very smoothly and he smiles at me and tells me I worry too much! I asked the travel company I booked through about the bumping and she assured me that it will not be a problem but I think I trust the TA site to be a little more honest. Please keep the suggestions coming on what family resorts would be a good "bumping" option and which resorts to avoid! Thanks again everyone!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

My husband and I will be at the GP 3/24-3/28. I'm a little nervous about the reviews they have been getting lately but I'm determined to make the best of it. I have been to Flamingo and the two Riu's. Here is my opinion.

The Riu Caribe is our favorite but it is MUCH smaller than the GP. The pool and beach are great, though and they do have a children's program. They have several restaurants but not as many as GP. The staff is great. If we were bumped here I would not be disappointed.

The Riu Cancun is much bigger than the Caribe. It has a lot of nice amenities and several restaurants. Also a children's program. Nice pools, large beach, good food.

The Flamingo is not even close to these other two. There are two restaurants, one bar, (except for the pool bar) small pool, no nighttime entertainment. If they try to move you here, don't go. It is not comparable.

Hopefully we'll all stay at the GP and have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
minnesota
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

my wife and I plus three other couples just returned from the great on the 8th after spending a week there. Everything was great,no bumping or any other issues. The hotel was great,the staff,waiters,roomservice,maids,bartenders were friendly and eager to please. THe hotel was clean all week,always someone sweeping and mopping the floors.The adult pool was warm and quieter than the main pools. The hotel was at 90 percent capacity, we never had to wait more than 5 minutes to eat at any resturant. Anyone who gives this hotel bad reviews is crazy. Rik

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

We are going to be there the last week in March also. All of us will have to hook up at some point! This "bumping" business is scary. Things seem to be totally out of the travelers control when it happens. My trip planner reassured me that the only people this happens too are the people who book straight thru the resort. Is there any truth to that statement? Last week of March-Spring break, holiday weekend. Where will they bump too......rooms are hard to come by now!

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

Ric, good to know! I would love to hear more about your stay! Your words are the only positive ones I have heard in a while! If you have not already done so, you should write a review?? What room did you have? We have booked a Lagoon Suite. Any info you have would be great... 16 more days!! Can't wait...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

Damn, wish I was there last week of March! No one on here was there when I was (March 4 - 10)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

I just wrote my review, should be up shortly. Don't worry, this place is fine. Let me know if you have any questions.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Parnassus -last week of March

Thanks so much for the positive update! The fact that it is spring break and Easter week also had me very nervous about the possibility of being bumped. I definately hope to meet some of you at the resort. We are there 3/27-4/2! I am thinking that I will start my packing in the next couple of days.