We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

Lancaster, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

Here in not -so-sunny England I often see very cheap flights to Cancun. I can't however, find any budget accommodation to go with them. What I've seen looks as if it's aimed at the wealthy American market. I'm not talking backpacker hostels, just something modest......

Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

Unfortunately, Cancun is not what I would call a low cost destination. However, there is a couple of ways you can approach finding a resort or hotel. I am assuming you do not want to stay at an all-inclusive. If you do, the least expensive that I am familiar with is the RHC Park Royal Piramides. Great location but only one restaurant. There are a couple of hotels in downtown Cancun that are not on the beach but you can take a cheap bus ride to the public beaches. They are very reasonable. Another thing to try is look on the web for companies that rent timeshare weeks from owners that are renting their units for various reasons. Try a search using the keywords timeshare rental. If you know someone who belongs to RCI they might have a deposited week that they could get an exchange for you at a reasonable price. Also, check with your local travel agencies and they might be able to find a good deal for you. Hope this helps some.

2. Re: Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2004, 21:00
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

Both thomas Cooke and First Choice offer different levels of packages to the area--packages that include air and hotel.

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

Your best bet could be to source your accomodation via the US websites, DaddyO & CandyLady401 have mentioned www.libertytravel.com in earlier posts once you have sourced the cheapest flights you can get back in Britain. I tried sourcing both through the US flying out of London (Expedia, Opodo) but invariably it meant a non direct flight via the US..not the best option when you have little ones in tow. Ended up buying through First Choice...with the benefit of hindsight would have bought seperately...hope this may help.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where could a couple of impoverished, middle-aged Brits...

You might also check into cheapvactions.com or check out the timeshare rentals at vacationweeks.com. Many of the US travel agencies may be able to help also. Check out libertytravel.com too. That is the only travel agent I will ever use. You may also want to check out condo rentals in Playa del Carmen (30 miles south of Cancun). It's a quaint town mixed with old and new. We are going in January and spending a week in a condo right on the beach, then going to Cancun for a week. Check out playagetaway.com. Hope this helps.