We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Is there a noticeable difference in taste?..Is one larger?..Is Carribean lobster and the Langostino lobster I have eaten in Baja the same?..

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Maine/New England lobster is different in that it is softer. The Caribbean lobster is tougher, but it is somewhat more flavorful, with significantly more tail meat.

212eric

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Thanks Eric...I was hoping you would reply..Is Lorenzillos the best in Cancun for lobster?..Also what are some good steakhouses?..Will I be able to get a good steak at Laguna Grill?..Thanks.....

Mentioned in this post
Lorenzillo's
Lorenzillo's
4,176 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Hope you don't mind if I answer - Lorenzillos is very popular with many folks - I find their service kinda aloof - however I love the bar out front on the water, and will still probably try their restaurant again. Cambalache does a great steak - the portions are huge - you can easily share a steak. There is a Ruth Chris - if you want that - but of course you can get that here in the states. I think Laguna Grill does a good steak. There is a new restaurant called Harry's that I'm looking forward to trying in June when we visit.

Have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Ruth's Chris Steak House
Ruth's Chris Steak House
910 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Lorenzillo's
Lorenzillo's
4,176 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cambalache Cancun
Cambalache Cancun
1,610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Maine Lobster is much tastier than the Langostino's...there is also a steak house on ave Bonopak called Buenos Aires Grill that got good reviews and it is a bit cheaper than the others

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

i had a great steak and lobster tail at La Parilla, dont forget their lobster is only the tail, no claw meat like maine lobsters

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

i had a great steak and lobster tail at La Parilla, dont forget their lobster is only the tail, no claw meat like maine lobsters..but it is good, imo lorenzillo's is a complete rip off but thats me i would rather spend good money on a great steak at Puerto Madero with an excellant bottle of wine..

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Madero
Puerto Madero
3,741 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Personally, and I'm from the Northeastern seaboard of the US, I prefer the Maine/ North Atlantic Lobsters over the Spiny Caribbean Lobster version caught in shallow waters. The N.A. cousin seems to have better taste but that could be a built in regional preference.

I don't find one tougher than the other, it's more in the cooking and the age of the lobster IMHO.

Also, one of the huge differences between the species is that the Maine/N.A lobsters come with large meaty claws that the Spiny Caribbean version never has.

In the end though, cooked right, I'll eat either, as I enjoy both.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

Give me one, you've freshly lifted out of the North Sea any day of the week !!!!

Sorry, cold water lobsters are far tastier in my opinion, than warm water !?!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

We love Puerto Madero's steak and lobster.

Cambalanche (same owners) do it well, too.

Cheryl

10. Re: New England vs. Carribean Lobster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 03:19