We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

Vacation to me is about sleeping in and plain relaxing. No stress. Having to worry about getting up at 7, 8, 9 am to save pool chairs is ridiculous to me. I had booked Excellence Playa Mujeres but as it hits 50%+ occupancy, I'm hearing the chair game is in full force and effect (at least at the main pool).

Does anyone have recommendations on a nice resort where this is not a problem?

Thanks much!

Oh, and we're going mid-May, in case that matters for how crowded it gets...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

IB Grand...the place has enough chairs so there is no need. At least that's what's been said on the boards.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

Hey fellow bostonian-

I honestly think 2 things play into the chair game:

1. Time of Year you travel = occupancy rate

2. Size of beach and pool

Number 1 is self explanatory.

Number2: If the beach is small (like in Cancun for example) and the pool is the "focal point" then the chair game will be in effect b/c there is no where else to be.

I have been to Mexico about 6x now. I have always staying in the Mayan Riveriea in October timeframe..NEVER chair game.

I decided a couple years ago to go to Cancun and stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas. Amazing resort...but holy chair game. The beach is small and there is nothing down there in terms of bars and such like Im used to in Mayan.

Also, the pool area is where everything is, therefore, chairs are reserved night before for goodness sakes.

Im sure I wil not have the headache of the chair game in October at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. My vacation time should not be worried about finding and keeping a chair to lounge on.

Kim

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

Seems to me that EPM is much less likely to have a serious problem with this than other resorts, at least for the time being. It looks to have an incredible amount of space spread out around the many pools and coupled with the fact that it's not a mega resort and occupancy of 50% or less then I think you will be ok there. Of course I am only guessing and would love to here from others that just got back or are there now.

BTW we are booked for late May.

London, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

I had heard EPM was getting bad with this, though, as you said, it is big enough you can always get a chair at 50% occupancy... but not at the main pool after 9:00 am I'm hearing.

Any other great suggestions?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

I agree with nearboston, the last thing I want to do is set an alarm when on vacation so I can get a chair. We like to move freely from sun to shade, pool and beach and so far have always been able to but sometimes the locations haven't been all that desirable.

Does anyone have solutions so if any resorts are reading these forums they are offered some help. The only things I can think of is order more chairs and have staff available around the pool and beach to remove towels after a set length of time (eg. 2 hours), also that would make staff available to help customers find chairs.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

Someone posted a couple days ago about stickers in Vegas. I guess the staff puts time stickers on the beds and in 1 hour if they come back and the seat isn't filled, they remove the stuff. Sounds good to me!

They should just hire a runner to do this all day or at least for the morning from like 8-12.

Frankfort, Il
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

Excellence seems like such a nice hotel. I would hate to see you not going there because of peoples reviews of the pool chairs. You are going for some R&R and your not even there yet and you are getting all worked up. I would suggest going to the hotel you like and take the chair game one day at a time. Enjoy your trip. It seems like this happens at all the hotels. So pick the hotel that you truly would want to be at and make the chair game not so high on your priority list. Have a fun and relaxing trip.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

We're leaving on Saturday and staying at the Omni. I'm hoping the chair game isn't too bad there. It wouldn't spoil my vacation but it would be irksome and a little stressful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

The only place I have ever been that you didn't have to do the early morning chair save was in the Mayan Riviera. Paraiso Beach complex had so many chairs everywhere that it was never a problem even in busy times. Also at the Barcelo. Everywhere else I've been it was up early and save your chair or do without one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anywhere with NO Pool Chair Saving?

I see lots of people share my concern. And I agree I am not going to get worked up about it... I just figured if there is somewhere out there where this doesn't take place, I should take advantage of it. I've heard it isn't present at Le Blanc, but not sure.