We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

Does anyone know if the beach Palapas at the Riu Cancun are booked by the day or the week?

When we go to Spain, most of the palapas are pre-booked by the week on the beach.

Whats the best way of securing one? (I'm guess in July its to get up at like 6am!!!!)

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

Its first come in the morning. I think if got up around 7:00 or so you should be able to secure one!! There are two areas of palapas, ones by the volleyball court and ones along side the sea wall of the resort. The ones by the volleyball court get the most sun per day (when the sun goes behind the building). We usually spilt time between the pools and beach. When we stayed at the RIU Cancun we ended up on the beach each day to get the final sun of the day.

Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

thankyou backus2006 for the info. Thats great news that they aren't booked in advance!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

You may not reserve them, it is first come, first serve. I usually go down early (6-6:30 am), watch the sunrise and read a book while I wait for my wife to come to life and go to breakfast. I always try to get one of the ones on the east end, near the quiet pool. If you are there, you will be near a bar and restrooms. We usually stay there all day, however some people come down early place towels on lounges under a palapa and then go back to bed. They may return and actually use the area at or after lunch. Not very considerate of others!

Greenville
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

Haha, I should save mine with a towel... my towel would get stolen though so forget that! Not to be dumb but what are palapas? Are we talking sun chairs or those cute fluffy bed things?

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

Palapas are little huts on the beach. I think they are make of palms.

6. Re: Riu Cancun Beach Palapas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 11:22