We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scarred about trip now...

Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scarred about trip now...

Somehow, I came across this website...is it a sign? I am nervous about my upcoming vacation now!

www.mexicovacationawareness.com/index.html

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scarred about trip now...

This site comes up sometimes on TA. Basically- some people have been hurt, some murdered, some have died....

The reality is that you can say that about ANY big city. Are we supposed to avoid Chicago because 100's get murdered a year? (not sure but I'm guessing as when I lived there, it was rather high).

Should I avoid leaving my house because statistically 1 out of every 4 or 5 women will be raped in their life?

I know the above sounds crass, but that is what the site is about. Teens fell off a balcony b/c they were drunk. A few people were murdered at their resort...someone had a heart attack and didn't get to a hospital in time....

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scarred about trip now...

This website should not be looked at with too much stock. Granted any death is a sad event, however, look at your local paper. People die in accidents everyday and are killed everyday. Could you imagine if that website was exclusive to Texas? Nobody would go there.

Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scarred about trip now...

You are right when looking at it in that perspective. Thanks for making me think of it that way.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scarred about trip now...

Caddy- exactly! People die, people have accidents, corrupt cops exist, people drink to much, party too much...nobody would go anywhere if there were sites like this about each city.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scarred about trip now...

Also, please look at the locations on that website. Some accidents occurred in Puerta Vallarta, some near Cancun, some in Cancun, some in Acapulco. The comparison would be to suggest never to visit the US because a murder happened in Texas, one in LA and one in NYC.

Reality: accidents happen. Be careful. Pay attention to your surroundings. Use the same common sense you would use when you visit any city in the world.

Go and have a wonderful trip.

Cheryl

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scarred about trip now...

In the US, people expect and depend on honest cops and state of the art rescue care. Mexico is not the US. There is no OSHA! You can't let your kids out of your sight. Even if I were vacationing in the US, I can't imagine ever feeling safe enough to trust the resort 100%, much less in a country that has different safety standards. Heck, I don't even trust the lifeguards at my own beach!

A Cancun vacation is not even ok for unaccompanied young adults, unless they are extremely cautious - the Cancun bar scene is not for amateurs!

People who wouldn't dream of parasailing or jet skiing in the states think somehow it's safer in a foreign country? Why would anyone consider participating in a risky sport in a country that has marginal health care?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scarred about trip now...

Just remember that, in my opinion, a majority of the deaths in Mexico are related to being drunk. Stay off of mopeds.

Don't get sunburned.

Get out and see things. Do stuff.

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scarred about trip now...

I feel the reason for the repeated postings of mexicovacationawarenessis for concern of human life and loss! And ability to tell their storey with mass readings...I understand and can certainly impathize with the feelings of grief..I just makes one more aware of their surroundings and to use common sense..I have seen the website and have seen those stories more than once. It does break my heart to see read such horrible stories..

But, I can not let it cloud my mind and my vacation.

I take each day as it comes. If I get another day, its a bonus!!!!!!

Jrock

Texas Panhandle
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scarred about trip now...

JROCK-I agree.

These days you have to be careful and aware of your surroundings at all times even in your hometown. When you are in a foreign country it is 100 fold, even if you are familiar with it.

I too feel bad for these families, but nothing takes the place of common sense.

Chris

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scarred about trip now...

I have just looked at the link that megerb posted, and I think those accidents are totally heartbreaking, and I totally understand why people write on them to release their grief, and my heart pours out to them with every ounce of sincerity I have.

On the other hand, I do think the website should be renamed:

www.vacationawareness.com - because as utterly heartbreaking and trajic the majority of these accidents are, they are not synonamous to Mexico, but occur in many holiday resorts globally, and in some respects I think it is a bit defammatory to the Mexican/Cancun image, because although these accidents did occur there, they occur everywhere else.

I hope my response is not misinterpreted and posters can appreciate my point.

I agree with what everyone else has said, people on vacation relax more than at home, but relaxing too much, ANYWHERE, can sometimes mean terrible consequences, and this can be 10,000 miles away from home, or on your door step.

Deepest thoughts to those mentioned on the website, and words of caution for those about to travel anywhere - Stay Safe!!!

Happy Travels All!!! :0) Mango