We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

How can you possibly enjoy yourselves?

You are so full of anxiety for the week or two that you may have.

Nothing wrong about making enquiries about beach, adults only, etc. Otherwise drop it.

Fretful people will never enjoy that which is before them because they will be measuring it against the expectation that they have in their mind. Sometimes expectations are met or exceeded. I suspect that mostly they fall short.

I paraphrase an astute observation:

Never plan.

That way failure comes as a complete surprise.

Rather than preceeded by anxiety and concern.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

Have you been drinking?.....After all, it IS Friday night..and if you haven't I suggest you should:):) I think "fretting", is a wee bit strong. Nothing wrong with asking questions of the members of TA about stuff that you think will help in your preparations for travel....what one might consider trivial, another considers highly important! Cheers! (hic)....llolol....Margaret

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

good one Margaret...a little bit of Friday night humor!

London, United...
Level Contributor
454 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

I always "fret" and it's my "fretting" that's ensured I've had good holidays in the past cos I've done my research and have known what to expect!

For the money I pay the least I can do is find out some info about where I'm going!!

I dunno how you can make that generalisation that fretful (for want of a better word, I prefer organised myself) people never enjoy their holidays cos they've raised their expectations...that's rubbish.

Hell will freeze over before I pay hundreds of pounds to visit a destination and I just take that blaise attitude of "What will be will be"

Let people plan their holidays as they wish...it has no effect on your life (well shouldn't do anyway) so follow your own advice and stop "fretting" about what doesn't concern you - LOL

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

Ditto for Carmels post!If you don't PLAN your vacation, you deserve what you get.

Sort of sounds like a statement my teenagers would make lol. When we do family vacations I do the "fretting"/PLANNING and they have a good time.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

ladyme

I am with you - I think research & planning adds to the holiday.

How many times do you read in reviews things like:

"This resort is a long way from the airport" - so did they move it after you booked?

"I had to buy a pair of long pants/trousers because of their stupid dress code" - must be a new dress code or one that is not on their website

"The beach is rubbish" - damn those hurricanes we all read about

"It rained a lot" - why did you go in the wet season

etc, etc, etc

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

I go on vacation so I can stop "fretting" at home.

New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

I agree also. I don't even know if I would call it fretting. I think I would call it preparing and complete excitement. If you don't think about your vacation than it only becomes one week out of your life. By signing onto tripadvisor ten times a day and reading what everyone has to say months in advance....it kind of feels like you are already there.In short, it then becomes not just a week...but months of happiness and excitement living the dream through someone else's travel until you can actually get there yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
454 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

LOL @ Flip Flop Man

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

Mr Wing a man of great wisdom!

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do any of you ever book a vacation with out fretting?

Hi I feel the same as most, It doesn't hurt to know different things before going. I'd rather be prepared for the most part.