We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun palace

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
10 posts
Save Topic
sun palace

Me and my wife are going to sun palace from 4-28 to 5-2

and were wondering about the dress code for lunch and dinner. We seen where it said you need long pants and collar shirt and shoes but do we need to dress real nice. thanks for all info.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sun palace

We checked in today. Lunch was pretty much anything goes at the buffet with swimsuits covered up. Was told dinner at the Italian and Mexican is as you stated - long pants, collared shirt and closed toe shoes. They seemed to be following that at the Italian when we went by but the Mexican restaurant did let a couple guys in with cargo shorts and collared shirts. Good jeans seemed to be acceptable, at least for the Mexican. We ate at the Steak which is now outside buffet style and saw several men in shorts and T-shirts. I have never heard of a dress code for the Asian place.

FYI: Dress code enforcement and dining style seems to be based on occupancy with 70% being the magic number. Last Sept when we were here last they were at less than 50%, none of the restaurants had a dress code and the Steak was ala carte. Today occupancy is around 90% and they said it would be at 100% by Wed the 23rd.

If I find out something different before we leave I'll post again.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sun palace

Ate at the Mexican last night. Several (read that as most) men were in cargo shorts, T-shirts and sandals. I was way overdressed in slacks, shirt and dress shoes. Looks like the Italian is the only one enforcing a dress code for dinner. It's on the sched for tommorow night so will let you know if it's different then.

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sun palace

Hi mnkcit,

Contemplating the Sun Palace over Thanksgiving - any recommendations on rooms? I heard the 6th floor is the best, with big balconies? Any suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated.

Sharon

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sun palace

You can go to breakfast and lunch in your swim suit/trunks - very casual both inside and out. Who wants to change out of their suit for lunch?!

My husband wore kacki pants once - only at the Italian restaurant. We did see men in jeans as well as sandals there. The others all allow shorts. We did see some folks on the dressier side - but that was an exception to the norm. I highly recommend the Sun Palace. However, food can get boring. Try some restaurants at the other Palace resorts in Cancun too.

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sun palace

jack see you there next week.

We come up from Playacar Palace the 27th and will be there through the 30th

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sun palace

Sharon,

We were in 713 last Sept and 320 this time, both overlook the quiet pool area. 713 was a superior deluxe with a king bed, 320 is a juinor suite with twin double beds. 6th floor has the largest balconies but the people above you can look down on them. 7 and 8 have small balconies, can barely even fit on them. The rest of the floors the balconies are decent sized to move around on. They normally do not take room requests (we've tried twice to get the 6th floor) but will let you change rooms if you don't like what you have and they have space available. Right now they are at or close to 100% occupied so no moving. I would try to avoid rooms ending in 00 to 05, they don't seem to have much of a view at all except the Oriental Lounge.

MNKCLT

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sun palace

mnkclt -it seems you preceded us to cancun last year and your reviews were very helpful. same for this year. thanks for coming online for us. two days and counting. I guess you'll be leaving as we arrive.

i assume the 100% is because leblanc is closed to it's special group. i'm hoping they all go home by sunday. do you know if the entertainment staff is sponsoring trips to clubs? or pairing up with Cancun Palace? we want to take our friends to one. thanks.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sun palace

Lisa - There are a couple of conventions here right now so the place is packed solid. Still not a real problem getting chairs or in to the restaurants though. Did have to wait about 10 minutes last night for the Steak. I haven't asked about the clubs, will try to remember to do so today for ya. Some of the old entertainment staff is still here. The show sched and the dance troupe have changed. The new one that did the celebrity show was great, you really have to catch that one. If they expanded out their show another 20 or 30 minutes they could probably be in Vegas right now (not main stage act but still there).

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sun palace

MNKCLT,

Thanks for the inside skinny on the rooms and the balconies - if you really don't have a choice before you get there, I guess you just have to take what you're given. At least we can try to make a request upon check in - and like you say, ask to move if it isn't sold out.

Thanks again.

Sharon

PA
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: sun palace

You should take long pants of light material, some of those Hawiann shirts and you can possibly get away with sandals. You cannot walk into the Italian restaurant in cutoff shorts and a t-shirt or your swim trunks and a t-shirt. Your wife can wear capris or a sundress to the Italian. The other restaurants or more casual, but for dinner you might want to stick with nice shorts and shirt ( golf shirt type) but at the Italian...long pants, nice shirt. You don't have to wear a tuxedo or a coat and tie...but you get the idea. Have a wonderful time at the SP...you will love it there.