We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

Hey everyone,

I am leaving soon and I am in NY and we are just approaching spring. Soooooo I am white as a marshmellow over here and it doesnt look good! I dont do tanning beds so does anyone know of a good self tanner that wont leave me streaky or orange?

I have tried quite a few and since they are $ I dont want to waste my money and end up looking like an orange peel on the beach- Id rather stay a marshmellow white!

Thanks

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

3 products I've found that give you a "healthy sunkissed look" are Tan Towels and Loreal Sublime lotion that tans you a litle at a time. Bare Minerals also has a self tanner that's pretty good but it's the most expensive.

Georgia
Level Contributor
386 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

Jergens even has one that claims to firm the skin as well. It's just barely tinted (although 2 levels of color), so it's not going to give you a major tan, but it will give your white skin just a little color. It's pretty inexpensive (maybe $7) - and you can find it at places like WalMart.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

I've tried MANY! My favorite is "Bare Escentuals Faux Tan" from QVC. It's about $22.00 for 4 oz. At home, I use it on it's own...but when we were in Mexico, I mixed it with sunscreen and still had great results. No orange color. No bad smell. I really like it. I tend not to use it on my face, though. For some reason, it makes my face look "dirty". Great for the body, though.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

tan towels!

Cordova, Tennessee
Level Contributor
906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

How about getting a spray on tan?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

I would say a spray on tan too but they dont last very long.. you would need to get it a day or 2 before you leave.. I like Olay Touch of Sun ! Body lotion plus a touch of sunless tanner!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

I like the Jergens too. It can be used daily for a touch of color - not fake looking at all. Julie

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

So, how long will it take these "tan towels" to give you that tan glow? (how long BEFORE my trip should I start using them...if that is the route I choose) I am also VERY white, and really do not tan well. And for some reason, over the past couple of years my skin is giving me some pigment issues and not tanning in some spots...so I would like a little artificial help that isn't a tanning bed.

Thanks!

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

the loreal works good, just make sure you moisturize your entire body first then apply the sunless tanning lotion otherwise you will streak, learned that one the hard way lol

usually do the spray on tan but being in the pool and sea, it disappears in 2 days, not worth the 70 so started using the loreal sublime this year

cant do the tanning beds anymore b/c of 2 bouts with skin cancer

tennessee
Level Contributor
387 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter white---dont look right! Self Tanner advice!

Goingwithkids,

I am a fake tan professional..lol..

Seriously, I have tried almost everything out there, and I agree with the Loreal Sublime & Tan towels.

Getting spray tanned before you go would be even better. You will not have the odor that you usually have with ones you apply.

Most importantly, exfolliate your skin really good before you apply your FT or if your going to get sprayed. That will make it look much better.