We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasks to do soon after checking in?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Tasks to do soon after checking in?

Obviously leave a $5-$10 tip with a note on top of the fridge if you are at an AI asking for "Mas corona por favor" but what are other things to do soon after checking in to ensure that your trip goes smoothly the rest of the week?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

We usually try to get to know the bartenders right off the bat - for us, the pool bar is most important. But mostly, we just hit the pool and the bar right away. We usually end up drinking too much and falling asleep right after dinner on the first night (also b/c of traveling) but then we are up and energized the next day which is great. Have fun!

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

time 4 the beach=

find your tour operator and confirm your transportation back to the airport the next day. i forgot to and they tried to give me a bunch of crap, but i wasnt backing down. but i dont want you to be hasseled, so just confirm it the next morning. bon voyage!

Akron/Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

First day ... arrive at the hotel, get all the formalities of meeting with the front desk and travel rep over with, have a "Bienvenidos a México drink," make friends with the bartenders, relax, and take the first day very casualy! Unpack necessities and clothes that you know will wrinkle ... then head to the pool/beach whichever you like, explore your hotel- get to know your favorite quiet spots, then take it all in ... YOU'RE FINALLY THERE! And enjoy every minute!!

Akron/Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

First day ... arrive at the hotel, get all the formalities of meeting with the front desk and travel rep over with, have a "Bienvenidos a México drink," make friends with the bartenders, relax, and take the first day very casualy! Unpack necessities and clothes that you know will wrinkle ... then head to the pool/beach whichever you like, explore your hotel- get to know your favorite quiet spots, then take it all in ... YOU'RE FINALLY THERE! And enjoy every minute!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

This is a great question...

The first thing I do after checking in is unpack and head for the beach. After dipping my toes in the sand for a while, I head over to Cenacolo or Alfredo di Roma, whichever restaurant is closer, and grab a pizza for a light lunch.

212eric (author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Guide & Survey

Akron/Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

Oops ... sorry!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

I forgot the part where you step out onto your balcony and breathe in the ocean breeze.... Ahhhhh. :)

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

Here is my list:

1.Unpack swim stuff

2.Head to the beach

3.Grab a drink at a bar on the way (something cold and strong)

4.Feel that soft Cancun sand between your toe

5.Feel the warm sun on your body

6.Jump in the bath water that is the Caribbean sea.

7.After you have acclimated, meet tour rep (they can wait, enjoying Cancun is more important).

-Jay

tennessee
Level Contributor
387 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

If your resort requires dinner reservations in advance, do so after you check in to make sure they don't get booked up...

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tasks to do soon after checking in?

I usually get to the room and change into my swin trunks and sit on the bed watching my wife unpack, while saying come on let's GOooooo!! Ya ready yet?? CCOOMMEEEEEEeeee OOONNNNnnnnn WWWOoooommmaaann!!! Then right to the pool for a drink!! I don't know if it is a woman thing where she feels the need to be unpacked and grounded, or if she thinks that the clothes will decide to wrinkle if they stay in the suitcase for 16 hours as opposed to 12. 15 more days until I will be sitting on the bed going CCCccooommmee onnnnnn!!!! (insert whiney inflection while saying)