We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs - Red/Green Light

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Customs - Red/Green Light

I am a party of 6, being 2 families of 2 adults and 1 child each. I understand when going through customers you either get a red or green light. If the first family gets a green light, can we all go through together but, if the first gets a red light, can the second family hold back and try for a green.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

It is by families. This is where you turn in your declaration form and press for the light.

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
164 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

It's one push per family.

After 9 previous trips with green lights we got the red light earlier this month. I can't even imagine what they're looking for because although they opened every bag, they barely looked at anything.

PA
Level Contributor
393 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

We are a family of 5. We had to break up for our flights. 3 of us are arriving 1 hour after the other 2. Not having flown into this area before, should the first 2 arriving just go thru customs and wait somewhere for the other 3? Where should they wait? I am paniced that we will get there and won't be able to find eachother. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

We got the red light for the first time in PVR this spring break - he waved us through anyway. Not saying that will happen for sure - but don't let it stress you out - have a great trip!

TX1

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

Larie I'm not certain, but I suspect you'll have to go through customs separately. On the forms you have to include your flight information, which won't match up. Also, there really isn't anywhere to wait, I think you're better off just planning on going through separately.

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

we had the red light last year and the only thing the ?'d us on was the turkey sandwich that we didnt eat on the plane and she asked if she could have it we said sures and she threw it out..lol..then we were on our way

Cordova, Tennessee
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

Larie

I sent you a lengthy PM. I was going to post here but it was too long!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

this is not a stressor. we have had both green and red lights =red just takes a little longer- no big deal

meet your party after u get your luggage

New York
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

After 7 green lights, we finally got hit by the red light. I was annoyed because my winning streak had been broken but it only took about 5 mins. No big deal. Just didn't like having my streak broken.

WV
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs - Red/Green Light

Just returned late last night after a week in Cancun. We got the red light...we had a total of three bags (2 suitcases & a hard golf club case). They told us to open the bags...he kind-of looked in the big bag & said "just clothes & stuff", we said "yes"...then we started to open the golf case..he said "no need" & waved us through. A total of maybe...45 seconds.