We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

We just returned Monday from Cancun and this is the first time I've gotten sick after getting home. I've been to Cancun 7 or 8 times and never had this happen. I thought I was going to die. I had liquids coming from all ends (Ewwe TMI). Anyway, I even had to go to the doctor to get an antibiotic to cure this nasty bug. Thankfully, it didn't ruin my trip - just wondering if this is a common thing and what if anything you do to prevent it next time.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

yes, I've heard of this happening to people sometimes. I wouldn't say it was common.

Glad you went to the doc, hope you're better soon!

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

I had that after a PV/Maz trip many years ago. It lasted maybe 12 hours, violently from both ends just like you. I couldn't even get to the doctor. The friend I was wish did not get the violent sickness but a Sllooowww bug that had him a little off for about a month. I'm not sure what you can do besides maybe some preventative Pepto Bismol in small doses daily even if you feel fine.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

It happened to my BF's brother & GF a few years back. They were sick for 3 days.

They narrowed it down to either the fruity drinks with ice or the salad. So they say...

There's been a few posts on here to prevent while you are there also. Not sure if these work, but some suggestions were:

Eat Yogurt

Take 1 antibiotic a day

Drink a straight shot everyday (guaranteed to kill anything anyway)

Bring Immodium

Bring Ginger pills/drink Ginger Ale

I'm sure there's more, but those are the few.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

I get sick of NOT being in Mexico.

Please people.. Don't take antibiotics just on a whim. Any Dr. who prescribes antibiotics when you don't have an active infection should be barred from practicing medicine.

This is totally irresponsible and creating superbugs that can't be treated.

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

well at least you werent sick there...sigh...my bf gets sick every year last year at night we went to the hotel doc and she gave him anitbiotics,,,we think we may have narrowed it down to the eggs...any other suggestions..mostly beer drinkers too...this is our 5th year and hopefully neither of us will get sick this year!

cancun
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

Sorry to hear that.. We went to Mazatlan a couple of yrs back, and we woke up sharing the bathroom for 3 days, and the pain in our stomachs was so unbearable, we stayed in our hotel for 3 days. So scared to eat anything after that. We had Carne Asada plate at the hotel for dinner. Of all places, you think it would be safe at the hotel. I hope this trip to Cancun is nothing like that. Try Flora capsules, I bought some, and will take some for the whole month of June into my trip. I heard it keeps out the bad bacteria out, kind of like yogurt that has Active Live Cultures. Look into it, hope you feel better.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

We just returned from Cancun one week ago. My 15 year old son became very sick two days into our vacation. Thankfully we had a doctor's office at our hotel and they were able to give some relief. Diagnosed as a gastrointestinal infection. As you can imagine, it ruined his vacation and took a sizable amount of our time away while taking care of him. He recovered in a few days with the help of an antibiotic.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

I had heard of people getting sick while they were there so I always take pepto, vitamins, and eat yogurt to help prevent it while there. I am sure the consumption of alcohol helps as well. Until now, I hadn't heard of people getting sick after they got home. I am convinced it's because I didn't drink on my last day there. : )

dallas
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

I got very very sick many years ago as my flight LANDED at home after a trip to PV, so I know it's no fun. The odd thing is that I was super careful on that trip. On previous trips, I ate and drank whatever from wherever and didn't get a bit sick. Sometimes you get sick from a virus you catch on the plane down. I'm a teacher and I know all the kids have been vomiting lately(they catch it one by one), so that is going around at this time. I got a similar thing on a Disney cruise a few years back and came home to find out that all my friends had been sick, too, so it was a virus I caught before even leaving. (Too)long story short: sometimes it's a virus and not the food. I hope you feel better now. In any event, it's a weight loss opportunity! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone Ever Get Sick AFTER Coming Home?

The same thing happened to my Uncle a couple of years ago after returning home from Puerto Vallarta. The only reason I can think of for this happening is if your digestive system just became overwhelmed from the experience, plus the trip home topping it all off.

I highly recommend to anyone planning on traveling, and I don't think it matter to where, that they should take Acidophilus. This is an all natural product that acts on the digestive system much the same way yogurt does. It replenishes the good bacteria back into the digestive system that we need in order to digest food properly. At this point, eating yogurt would be a good thing to do for yourself however Acidophilus is much more concentrated and effective for your recovery.

I'm sorry for your bad experience with this and I hope you have a much better return home the next time you travel.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Guide & Survey Book