We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing break

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxing break

Hey,

I'm planning on doing a long tour of South America and then a short tour of Mexico starting in Cancun. We have about a week in between and just wanted to hang out on a beach and maybe go snorkeling before the second tour starts. However we'll be landing in Cancun around the 13th march which is right in the middle of spring break. Besides it being a non so relaxing atmosphere I also figure the accommodation will be hard to come by and quite expensive.

So was wondering is there somewhere near Cancun with a beach etc that won't be packed with spring breakers that we can spend a week. We were thinking of Belize but maybe that's too far. If there was somewhere in between that offered sun sea and sand we'd be just as happy!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize
Belize
Central America
Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing break

Cancun is a rather large resort area, and not all resorts get packed in for spring break. If you take a look at the more upscale resorts in Cancun, you are only likely to deal with Spring Breaks if you go out to a party at night.

If you wish to avoid spring breakers, check out playa del carmen. The resort area south of Cancun, you'll find resorts down there that don't cater heavily to American spring breakers.

-Jay

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing break

Thanks. I had noticed Playa del Carmen alright but I wasn't sure if they'd have an overspill of people from Cancun. That sounds great. We'll be on a very tight budget so going to a high end hotel in Cancun wouldn't be on the cards. I'll look into accommodation in P del C now.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing break

You may want to try for a rental on www.tug2.net or www.mexicondo.com for a Royal Resort ...they will not cater to the spring breakers and are lovely resorts....if you need more info on them PM me

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxing break

Also the smaller hotels in Tulum or Akumal in the Riviera Maya about 1.5 hrs from Cancun Airport will not be as populated especially with college age people!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
5. Re: Relaxing break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 19:18