We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Cancun damaged?

Indiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Riu Cancun damaged?

Hello, we don't leave until July 28th and I was wondering if anyone knew of any damage to the Riu Cancun. Although I want to go so bad at the same time I want to experience Cancun when its at its best. We have insurance so if we do cancel we get 100% back. Let me know what you think.

St. Louis, MO
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

htmjennifer-

All of the reports I've heard say that the damage to Cancun's hotel zone is lighter than expected. I've heard that there is some power outages, minor flooding, and that some branches are lying around . My girlfriend and I are staying there from July 27 to August 1st, so we're worried about the same thing. I think we're planning on still going. That's all the information I've heard so far. If you hear anything, let me know, and I'll do the same.

england
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

hi we're going from 7th august till 22nd august im really stressing about the hurricanes do you think we'll be ok. thanks

england
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

hi we're going from 7th august till 22nd august im really stressing about the hurricanes do you think we'll be ok. thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

I'm leaving for Cancun on Sunday and I called Riu cancun today and they said the resort is fine. No damage.

Actually i was told that all the Riu hotels are ok,

Hope this helps,

england
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

thanks that was a big help. have a good time

Indiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

Thanks for the information. If you guys booked through a travel agent feel free to call them because they also know information. Also my travel agent should be calling me back today because she was suppose to talk to the Riu Cancun herself. My friend called the past two days to find out about the damage done in Cancun. About the same info given on here. I will keep you guys posted!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

Hey htmjennifer Im am coming down with a big group on the 30th. The group im coming with are between 19 years old and 25, several guys and a few girls. Just wondering what the age range of your group is?

Indiana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

Raven- 3 girls and well 1 guy. I am 22 years old. The other two girls are 24 and 25 years old and the guy is 21 years old. We are ready to have an awesome time! What about you?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

My son came home from the Riu Palace yesterday. There had been some water damage to carpets in the building. The beach was a mess as were the pools. He feels that all should be cleaned up within a week so I wouldn't worry about going there. It's possible there might be a musty smell from the carpets unless they are changed and the beach will be rockier unless they got rid of all the rocks that washed up but if you take it all in the spirit of things it shouldn't spoil your holiday. But remember, this is guesswork on my part going by what I know happened there.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Cancun damaged?

check this site for information:

vacationexpress.net/riv_maya_hotels_update.h…

Looks like most of the Riu's are open with damage.