We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

I found this site after I had already booked our family of 4 into the Gran Caribe Aug 6-13. Reviews are very mixed. I have read that the beach is gone, but that we can pretty easily walk to another beach.

Villas are better than Towers? Food terrible?

Any opinions out there?

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts Cancun
Panama Jack Resorts...
8,861 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

Before Hurricane Emily the beach was very small. I would think it is much smaller now. But you can walk to other beach area. I beleive you can also use the beach area nad facilties of the Costa Real which is a short reide away. That beach is also small. I have had a number of clients stay at the Gran Caribe Real with no complaints on the food or hotel. Resort used to be the Continental Plaza, the resort has been upgraded by Real resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts...
8,861 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

We loved the Grand Caribe, we were there in April... beach is small in front of the resort, however walk to the right of the resort and there is plenty of it!!!

It is all what you make of it, we had a villa and loved it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

I was also having mixed feelings. We are scheduled to stay there from Aug. 21 - 27th. What is the difference between the Grand Caribe Real and the Riu Caribe? Are they the same or two different resorts?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,960 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

They are two different resorts, we stayed at the Grand Caribe and the Riu is more downtown...I like the Grand Caribe as it is close to lots of things including shopping!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

I stayed at the Costa Real which is a (less expensive) sister property of the Gran Caribe. BEWARE! When I was there, guests of the Costa Real had "stay and play" privileges at the Gran Caribe. I had no problem with this as I got to "play" at the nicer resort while paying less money. However, this program has the result of over-crowding the small beach of the Gran Caribe and is an inconvenience to guests of the Gran Caribe (in my opinion). I went 2 years ago- so check if this policy is still in place.

The Costa has a very small beach... looking for a pic to show. Don't know what people are talking about saying it is better than the Gran Caribe.

With that being said, the food was VERY average for Mexico. If you have been before, you know what I am talking about. If not- stick with chicken, fruit, burgers, eggs and omletts etc. Stay away from red meat as it is usually not the quality you are used to in the states.

Overall- we enjoyed our vacation at the Costa Real. Since the Cran Caribe is a more "upscale" facility compared to the Costa Real, you shouldn't have a problem. However- neither of these hotels are "luxury". You get what you pay for.

FYI: Both the Costa Real and the Gran Caribe are in a "cove" so the beach is usually very calm. I don't know if that will protect the beach or hurt it in the event of a hurricane.

I have a few pics... post you email and I will send. Can't figure out how to attach.

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts...
8,861 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

Thanks for the responses!

Any suggestions about the rooms? We have booked a Jr. Suite, I have been told the Villa's are updated but the Towers are BAD but if we request a move they usually give it to you

Thanks for the photo offer...my email is nhawk@thebeaconjournal.com

if you wouldn't mind sending pic's I appreciate it

Virginia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

We booked a Deluxe Junior Suite w/ ocean view at the Grand Caribe Resort. I'm kinda wondering the same about renovations etc. since the hotel was taken over by another chain.

Anyone else been?

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

We were there in December. We got an very good deal. For that reason alone, it was worth it. But not a penny more.

Our room was not rennovated--not a problem. AC in the first room did not work and dripped. We lived with it for a night. We were told to return in the morning as they were full. Whether or not they were full, I don't know. But many, many people had been told the same thing and were waiting to switch rooms. The final straw was when our shower did not work the next morning.

The front desk was never helpful and always told you to come back. Several times during our stay, we came back to the room to find our key card did not work. This appeared to happen frequently.

Housekeeping was fine. Our room was cleaned and restocked everyday.

The food is average at best and always inconsistent. Even if you found something you really liked, you could not count on having it that way again.

Drinks, bartenders and waitstaff were great.

Beach area was very small--which translates to crowded. For a huge resort, there were 8-10 palapas--which may or may not still be standing. While there may have been better beach a short walk away, for me, not having the AI drinks and service available defeats the purpose.

The pools are in need of repair. The main pool is loud and crowded. If you enjoy constant booming music and tequila volleyball, you'll be in heaven.

Many times during the week, we were awakened by screaming kids running though the hallway or in the jacuzzi. Sometimes they were teenagers, sometimes younger kids that appeared to be unsupervised. A few times, it was obnoxiously drunk adults in the (closed) jacuzzi in the middle of the night.

If you are able to search back to postings on here from earlier in the year, you will find more comments from me.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

I too did the same thing you did book the hotel and then change your mind. I read so many reviews about how many cockroaches this place had and I called the travel agency back and went to the Riu Caribe instead. Also the Riu Caribe and the Gran Caribe Real are two very different places. People get confused because the Riu Caribe used to be called the Gran Caribe until it got it got back by the Riu hotel chain. The Gran Caribe used to be the Continental Villas. I do not suggest going to this hotel I have been through there and there is NO beach and also the pool is very very small. I just returned from Cancun on July 7 but this was my 16 time so I am very familiar with the hotels. If I were you and you wanted to guarantee a very good vacation book to another hotel I would suggest the Sheraton Towers they are very nice and a wonderful big beach.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,960 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Panama Jack Resorts...
8,861 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Caribe Real...scared by bad reviews...HELP

I just called the Gran Caribe and they said most of it has been renovated. Is this not true? I'm not at all leary of a small beach. To me the smaller the better.........but I guess I can walk to another beach if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts...
8,861 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico