We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

Huntersville, NC
Level Contributor
29 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

We visited Cancun (2 adults and 2 teenage children) in Dec of 2006 and had a great trip, mainly because we enjoyed the great beach and waves. We stayed at the Omni Cancun.

We liked it so much that we bought a vacation club package that gave us discounted visits (10 in 10 years). When we used the first one in Jan of this year, imagine our disappointment when the beach was absolutely gone! Almost no sand, dangerous large rocks, and "no swimming" signs. Apparently a tropical storm had washed the beach away in the summer of 07 (Dean?).

Has Cancun addressed this issue? Everyone told us the beach would be replenished, but no one could tell us when. There was only one small section of beach (N of the Omni) open in the hotel zone in Jan 08. I would appreciate an update. Thanks.

Huntersville, NC
Level Contributor
29 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

bump

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

Many sections of the Cnaucn beaches have been restored. Check out travelor pics for the beach condition at the Omni.

Keep in mind though, this will most likely happen each hurricane season until a long term solution is put into place.

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

Sorry for the total slaughter of the word Cancun. lol Sometimes my fingers get ahead of me!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

There has been talk of replenishing all the Cancun beaches but the problem seems to be the funding for it. Some hotels have done it on their own. Mainly the beaches are going to depend on the time of year, weather conditions, tropical storm activity, currents, etc. The last 2 times we were there the bottom of the 7 around Sun Palace had great beaches but they got worse the further north you went.

Besides photos on the traveler's reviews try looking at www.cancunbeachconditions.com for recent pics of the beaches.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

I was at the ME Melia in Cancun the first week of July 08. The beaches at low tide left about 5-10 feet wide of beaches. At higher tides the water was crashing against the wall in some areas. The surrounding beches were in bad shape as well. Some areas better than others.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

I just posted this on an older thread and then saw this thread, so I'm posting it again here.

Here's a quick Google translation of a news article that came out July 6 about the beach recovery project, with an indication work could start within 30 days.

CANCUN, MX .- Finally this week that will be put on the table analysis of the Federation draft recovery of beaches that arises indemnifying the coast eroded by storms and poor planning in developing destinations.

The state government and private initiative, the Federation requested 250 million dollars to begin work on 12 kilometers of recovery in Cancun, four in Playa del Carmen and a sandbank which is required in Cozumel for future projects.

Gabriel Mendicuti, owner of Registry State Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra) reported this week that the Tourism Secretariat (Sectur) Federal, will be discussing the project with the federal executive and Semarnat to define if it is contributing resources to start the work.

Of the contribution given by the Federation, Gabriel Mendicuti said it would be in a period no longer than 30 days which could start construction.

The total project has planned an investment of one billion pesos, of which 750 million were already guaranteed with input from Federal Maritime Zone Terrestrial (Zofemat), return 20 percent of the resources that are captured by the concept of two percent the lodging tax and an additional payment in predial by lots coastal involved in the recovery.

With these resources ensures the maintenance and preservation of the beaches of these destinations, however, missing 250 million for making a second filling of beaches in the 12 kilometers of eroded stretch between Punta Cancun and Punta Nizúc and four kilometres with a Severe erosion in Solidarity, in Playacar.

In the case of Cozumel, the authority wants the same machines that make the filling forming a sandbank for the development of beaches on the island, with the aim of supporting the hotel business, according to the official state concerns.

On the conditions that are currently cancunenses costs, which reports that at least 80 percent of the hotels were built in the destination they did on coastal dune, causing an acceleration of coastal erosion, the state official said that by Today any hotel structure is at risk, however, acknowledged that in 38 years that you have development, a process that was attacked led him to the nature formarlo 10 thousand years, so now they must face the consequences. (Source : Por Esto! Quintana Roo)

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

Check out Cancunbeachconditions.com I was at the Omni 3 weeks ago...I posted pictures on the above website...I just got an E-mail today,and she said my pix will be up in a few days...The beach sand is coarser and there are big rocks in the water...I got in anyway,since I love the beach and the only one near me is Corpus Christi,which is yucky....This time,we finally(after 4 trips)took a ferry to Isla Mujeres and enjoyed some great beaches....

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

From my last visit to Cancun, Spring of this year, I wandered the beaches a bit, nowhere near the extensive work that CancunGringa and CancunSusan have done with the beach site but wandered nonetheless.

Along with the various beach accounts locally, what appears to be the situation is that the top of seven beaches are basically in good shape, the beaches on the Caribbean side, on the long part of the seven, from Punta Cancun south to the Hilton are in desperate shape with few exceptions. Notably, from reports, the Gran Caribe Real and her sister resort the Royal Cancun due to illegally restoring the beaches themselves, have good beaches but the government climbing their backs.

Going south from the Hilton, the adjacent Playa Delphines, the public beach, is a bit rough but in good standing. South of Delphines to about the Crowne Paradise, it's hit or miss, from approximately the Gr Solaris to the Westin/Club Med area, the beaches improve dramatically the further south towards Punta Nizuc one goes.

Regarding the beach restoration, other than some continued placement of Geotubes earlier in the year, there's been no reported physical work done on restoration, unfortunately.

Things may have changed but this was my take on it a few months back. ;-)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

Go to Playa del Carmen, the beaches are much better than than in Cancun

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has the beach been replenished/rebuilt this year?

One really can't generalize that way. There are areas of Playa where the beaches are eroded and areas where they are great, just like in Cancun.