We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Cancun

Palm Beach County...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Taxis in Cancun

Are the cabs in the hotel zone metered or do you negotiate the fare when you get in? Also, what is average fare from Punta Cancun to Downtown Cancun?

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Cancun

They are not metered. If you are getting picked up from your hotel there is a board that says the fares to different locations. It is always a good idea to discuss before you take off though.

Cancun
Level Contributor
473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Cancun

Punta Cancun to downtown should be more or less 100 pesos if you flag the cab down. Prices are higher when taking cab from hotel or from "sitio" which is like a taxi stop where they usually sit and read the paper while they wait for customers.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Cancun

Do not pick-up the cab from the hotel, just fly one from the street (they are all over. Agree on the price before you get in, if you are not satisfy just fly another one.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Cancun

I just returned from Cancun. You can go any where in the "hotel zone" for 10 bucks or 100 pesos. I ususally tipped 20 pesos or 2 bucks

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Cancun

How about just hopping on the Bus? Each Hotel has a stop right on the main boulevard and you can get to anywhere else along the 7 for about 65 cents. Doesn't matter how far from downtown you are.

denver
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Cancun

While there is a cab conversation going on I wanted to know if anyone knows if you can fit 5 in a cab if one sits on your lap(my 5 year old). Somebody in the PDC forum said maximum occupancy states 4 but it may be up to each individual cab driver. Anyone have any experience with this?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Cancun

That doesnt sound too safe...especially the way they drive down there.

morris, illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in Cancun

i would ride the bus before i took the cab. on a couple busses we had guys on there playing guitar and singing they also have you sing along it was a blast

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis in Cancun

I agree--and the taxis are small. I have seen some drivers allow it and some not--just depends on the mood of the driver. And if you get the taxi in an area with other taxis, they may be more likely to play by the rules since other drivers may observe and complain.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis in Cancun

Hi how much does it cost in a taxi from the Moon Palace to the hotel zone?