We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Cancun

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Newbie to Cancun

My 18 year old son and I are Traviling to Cancun on the 7th of August and will be staying at the Riu Cancun. (Hoping it's a nice Hotel)

I'm looking to make sure he has a great Vacation and was wanting to see if you guys had any ideas for me that an 18 year old boy would like to do???

Thanks --Troy

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Cancun

You guys are staying at a great place. You are walking distance to alot of clubs and places to shop and eat.

I would do the jeep tour. Used to be called Joes jeep adventure tour, but I haven't seen Joe on here in a year or more. Anyways this link should work.

www.jeepadventures.com.mx/tours.cfm?aff=canc

I don't know if he would want to swim with the dolphins or go to the ruins, etc.....or spend most of the time on the beach with the girls. Lots to do.

CENTRAL WI
Level Contributor
775 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Cancun

deep sea fishing,, a trip to isla mujeres( playa norte )clubbing,,// thats the nice thing about CANCUN your options are endless// joeyg

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Cancun

Congradulations on your upcoming trip to Cancun! I would recommend a snorkling adventure on one of the reefs. We always do at least one snorkling trip each year, our most memorable one was one in Maroma. I wish you the time of your life!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Cancun

Did you lose this thread Troy?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Cancun

YES! and thanks for the web site getting tickets today, looks like a great adventure...

Thanks again!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Cancun

18 or 80...Parasailing is a blast...

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Cancun

You will love the Riu...it is so close to everything.

Yup Parasailing is a blast and wave runners are fun too. You should go to Coco Bongos with the hotel entertainment staff. You pay a fee and they will take you for the night but you have to find your own way home. It is not fair from the Riu. All ages go so you can go together. They will go to a different place each night I believe. Senior Frogs is fun. He is of drinking age in Cancun so can get in to all of the places. My older teens don't like to do whole day tours but some do. If he does there are tons of tours as mentioned above. It really depends what he is in to. They do lots of games etc around the pool....many involve chugging a beer etc but lots of laughs. He may enjoy volleyball etc too. Have a great

time!!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Cancun

You will love the Riu...it is so close to everything.

Yup Parasailing is a blast and wave runners are fun too. You should go to Coco Bongos with the hotel entertainment staff. You pay a fee and they will take you for the night but you have to find your own way home. It is not fair from the Riu. All ages go so you can go together. They will go to a different place each night I believe. Senior Frogs is fun. He is of drinking age in Cancun so can get in to all of the places. My older teens don't like to do whole day tours but some do. If he does there are tons of tours as mentioned above. It really depends what he is in to. They do lots of games etc around the pool....many involve chugging a beer etc but lots of laughs. He may enjoy volleyball etc too. Have a great

time!!

9. Re: Newbie to Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2008, 06:03
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie to Cancun

Riu Cancun is a wonderful hotel and I am sure you will enjoy your stay there. As far as things to do, Cancun offers so many it is hard to know where to begin. Since you are traveling during the summer, activities in the water are always a great idea. I highly recommend considering doing a swim with whale sharks or a dolphin swim. You can find much info about these activites by using the search feature on this forum board page. I also recommend you consider going to see the Mayan ruins at Tulum. This is especially because it is located on cliffs overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The Chichen Itza site is located inland and becomes quite hot during the day, however if you are only going to be in the area once in your life, it is worth braving the heat and humidity. If you do decide on Tulum, couple that with a stop off at the eco park of Xel-Ha. The park at Xel-Ha offers a great all-inclusive meals and drinks plan which will save you lots of money. The other park in the area that is also much larger is Xcaret. This park is great but there is a lot of walking involved and they do not offer an all inclusive plan that is nearly as good as the one at Xel-Ha. I hope this advice helps you have a wonderful vacation in paradise.

Sincerely,

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Guide & Survey Book