We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Horseback Riding

Does anyone know about/or has gone horseback riding in Cancun?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding

We did this with Rancho Loma Bonita, thru a tour company in our lobby, back in 1998. We had a great time. It was 1/2 day trip. You ride thru the jungle for a while, out to an undeveloped beach, gallop down the beach and are given a chance to ride bareback out into the ocean. Afterwards, lunch and coronas were served before a game of donkey polo was played. My boyfriend wasn't that excited to go, but he ended up really enjoying it and would go again.

Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding

HI

Regarding the horse back riding to Rancho Loma Bonita.

How far is it from Hotel Zone?

We will be staying at dreams resort. We all want to go Horse back riding, But we dont want to travel a long way to to the ranch.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you so much

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding

It was about a 30-45 minute bus ride max from the hotel zone, I think we met at Pat O'brians. We saw it on our way to Xel Ha a couple of weeks ago. If you drove yourself, you would be there in 20-30 minutes from south hotel zone, probably.

We wanted to do it again this last visit, but ran out of time. Maybe next time......

Toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding

How are the horses? Are they starved? I don't want to go on a tour that over works their animals. More info pleeease! :)

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding

I heard there was an evening beach ride somewhere - anyone know about that?

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding

I just found info on horseback riding at Rancho Punta Verado - near PDC - it has gotten good reviews and in the Pic's the horses look healthy.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding

The horses we used were healthy. They had a lot of them then (it has been a while back). They asked your riding experience and gave you a horse to fit you.

I would not be happy with starved animals, either. There were a lot of horses and I don't think they were worked very hard at all. Most of the ride, they just walked at at their own leisure, no hills to climb or bad conditions to walk in, although we know sand isn't that easy.

I did the mule ride into the grand canyon- now those animals work hard to earn their keep. It took 3-4 hours to climb out of the canyon, almost straight up, and most of those mules didn't even break a sweat though- amazing. They were in great conditoin.

Columbus, OH
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding

ABUCKEYE - We're from Columbus, OH also! We've been to Cancun/Riviera Maya 4 times in the past 2 years. We love it!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico