We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

From a story in local media , Viva Aerobus is canceling flights to Cancun and Cozumel for a period of 75 days because of higher fuel and other associated flight costs. According to the report Viva Aerobus will stop flying to both Mexican tourism hot spots between August 18 and October 31. They note that currently Viva Aerobus has 19 flights per week between Monterey and Cancun, and 7 flights between Austin, Texas and Cancun per week with 3 flights weekly to Cozumel.

Austin TX
Level Contributor
445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

As of this evening, when I search for flights from Austin to Cancun for both September and October, they are still operating flights 5 of 7 days during the week (a reduction in their original scheduled daily service). Does the media story have more info...where are the flights that are being cancelled originate from? Within MX?

Tami (in Austin)

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

There's no more info that I've seen in the local press yet on this but the source they're quoting is the highly reliable head of the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau.

The article is short on info, especially regarding flights for passengers already booked but is clearly stating the airline will suspend its flights to Cancun and Coz for the period stated.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,741 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

All Viva flights within Mexico, originate from their main base of operations, Monterrey. And actually, they havent shown the Cozumel flights in their schdule for quite awhile. I often use them from Merida to Monterrey to avoid the Cancun airport and for lower prices from Merida to Monterrey.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

Anyone heard anything on outbound flights from Cancun to Austin? I'm on a different airline inbound, but I booked Viva Aerobus outbound for my September 6th flight. When I go online to book the same flight I've already purchased, it looks like the website is still showing the flight as available and allowing the purchase.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

This was in Reuter's yesterday...Mexico is refusing to pay for the higher fuel costs to subsidize the planes...and with September coming...downtown in traffic....

Mexican airlines face losses due to oil prices

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican commercial airlines, hurt by soaring oil prices, could lose up to $1.2 billion this year, a government official said.

Mexico's airline sector, like everywhere else in the world, is struggling with high oil prices and the Mexican government's refusal to subsidize jet fuel is making it harder for local carriers, some of which have canceled routes this year.

"If things remain as they are today, with oil at $130 - $140 per barrel, Mexican airlines could lose this year between $1 billion and $1.2 billion," Gilberto Lopez Meyer, head of Mexico's civil aeronautics, told Reuters in an interview this week.

There are about a dozen commercial airlines in Mexico, where only 5 percent of the population uses planes as a mean of transportation.

The arrival of six low-cost airlines in recent years helped boost passenger traffic but triggered an intense competition for clients.

"Airlines don't think it is possible to immediately pass the fuel costs to ticket prices because they would end up with no passengers," Lopez Meyer said.

"Prices are gradually increasing and while the market, the passengers and the demand get used to these new prices, airlines are losing an important amount of money."

Mexican airlines already are adding fuel charges to ticket prices but they still allow two luggage pieces per passenger and many of them offer free beverages and snacks.

High fuel prices are expected to bring in a round of mergers that would shrink the number of players in the field and Lopez Meyer believes that only those airlines with deep pockets will survive.

This week, low-cost Mexican airline Interjet said it had bought the rights to use Mexico City's airport from struggling Aero California, a small rival recently grounded by the government after it failed to pay some flight rights.

Despite oil prices and a slowdown of the economy in the United States, passenger traffic in Mexico held to double-digit growth through May, according to the latest government data.

But the third quarter could prove particularly challenging. "September is coming and that's when a sharp decline will happen. In average, full year (passenger traffic) will end up 6, 7 or 7.5 percent," he said.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

Oh well, I don't really see how I can take anything but the "wait and see approach." Travel insurance won't cover the flight that I voluntarily cancel without reason and my credit card won't reimburse me unless the airline actually cancels the flight. Thanks for all of the info and please keep us posted. I'm sure there are others who are in a situation similar to mine!

Cozumel
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

I just used Vivaaerobus last week and the thing to check is if you can download your receipt or your boarding passes. We could do this with one segment, but not with another. Luckily, we went early and got a seat with no problem. This company does not sell tickets in airports, only over the internet.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,741 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

I have flown Viva often and you will always get a seat if you have a reservation but , if you dont arrive early, it may not be the seat you want. I like the boarding methhod myself---they reward you for early check in. They board in groups---the first group boarded is for those who checked in early, and thus the best seat choice. Check in late, and you will likely be in a middle seat.

Austin
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

I strongly recommend that you read about our experience before using Viva Aerobus. We had scheduled a flight with Viva departing from Austin to Cancun Aug 20 and returning back to Austin on Aug 26. Just last week, I received an e-mail notice letting me know that our departure is now Aug 22 and returning Aug 24 with a message to call their customer service. Paying for flights to Cancun at this point in the game was going to run nearly $500+ per person so this was not a good situation. While waiting on hold to speak to one of Viva's representatives for 40 minutes, I was searching American Airline flights on the internet to use frequent flyer miles as a backup plan. Luckily, I was able to find seats available. Right before booking my flight with American on the net, my call was finally answered from a Viva rep. She told me that this was my new schedule. I told her that we booked a vacation to Cancun for our original dates and that could not change. She then told me that I could cancel (I didn't buy insurance for the flight), but she told me they would refund the full amount of my airfare including taxes in 30 to 60 days. I can only hope that I will see my refund.

I was already nervous about using this airline, but couldn't turn down the savings. However, my biggest fear is that they would pull this stunt the day before our trip. I guess we were lucky that it happened 3 weeks prior. We were very lucky that we were able to find some seats in exchange for my frequent flyer miles. Those same seats weren't available with American Airlines when I booked this trip back in May. Very fortunate. Hopefully, we'll see the refund, but I'm not holding my breath. You really need to be nervous about using these guys if you are considering it. We never got off the ground with them, but they'll never get another chance from me.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viva Aerobus Cancels Cancun/Coz Flights

jjordan - you may have extra protection under U.S. consumer laws so you may get your money back. The same happened to me (with NO alternative flights offered) and all I got was vouchers for future travel (not cash). I will not use VivaAerobus again either.