We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

Just wondering what the timeline at the airport has been like for departures recently. I just saw some older threads about needing to be at the airport for check-in 3 hrs prior and that scared me! Have people seen whether it's been busy at the airport lately? We're leaving via Jetblue on a weekday at 12:30.

thanks!

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

We are always at the airport 2 hours prior to flight time. That has always proved to be ample time - the most recent departure was last month.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

We always leave the hotel @ 2 hours prior to departure, but our hotel is pretty close, so it takes only about 15 minutes to get there. We've never had a problem. Since they implemented the 3 hour rule, it seems we have had a really easy time checking in because everyone else has already checked-in! Disclaimer-- every flight, day, trip is different, so it is luck of the draw.

I would say 2 hours early is a good time to get there,regardless.

New York
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

We have been to Cancun 6 times and the first 4 times the wait at the airport has been atrocious. We got there 3 hours before flight time and had 20 mins aftercheck in to get to gate and bathroom. That being said, the last two times (June 08 & July08) Wednes and Saturday departures, we went through everything in an hour. We were amazed. Hope it continues but who knows. We flew American.

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

I just left Cancun on August 6th. We were leaving aat 3pm and got to the airport 2 hours and 15 minutes early and we had plenty of time to do that last minute (rip off) shopping and eat. I was worried to because it was Mexicana and they say 3 hours, but I think that is overkill.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

We figured we would play it safe and followed the 3 hour guideline--also we saw the same recommendation in our JetBlue itinerary. We got to the airport at 9:35 for our 12:30 flight--and waited in line 15 minutes for the JetBlue check-in counter to open! However in those 15 minutes the line built up significantly. Still, we would have had quite enough time if we'd gotten to the airport 2 hours before the flight

California
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

We just got our credit card bill from our 3 hour stay at Cancun airport on Aug 1. 2008. Ciggabuts are a steal at 72 dollars for 4 cartons in the duty free shop. An apparently alcohol free Bloody Mary at Margaritaville cost 17 dollars.

We brought some bottled water and yogurt from the Sun Palace, but it was all confiscated by security so we had to buy stuff in the airport. 3 hours is a long time! You get thirsty!

Lot's of people we were in line with were very upset that their expensive tequila and make up (mascara, lipstick and other stuff like moisturizers) was confiscated by security. My advice is to please read the TSA site and don't carry on things that are not allowed. The regulations are ridiculous and out of control, thanks to the dead terrorists who caused 9-11. Just wear flip flops, no belt or jewlery, make sure all your "liquids" (even chap stick is considered a "liquid") are in a ONE QUART size zip lock. Sandwich size or gallom size or freezer size are not acceptable. Don't carry on anything you don't want to lose.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

Some carriers-i.e. NWA/MLT flights, close their departure check-in 1 hr prior. 3 hrs seems excessive, but in both Cancun and PV airports-American (the carrier) had LONG lines, most heading to Chicago or East Coast. NWA not as bad (probably less daily flights). In April, NWA had 2 flights leaving PV 1 hr apart-so many on the later flight were able to hop on the earlier one (less airport wait). Plus, they still hand-search the luggage. We found the timesaver is taxi back... no big bus! Anyway you look at it, leaving is a drag.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,436 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

First, TSA regulations have nothing to do with departing from Mexico--strictly for departures from the USA.

From my ailine days, I know the airline I worked for absolutely closed checkin one hour before departure from Cancun. Many good reasons--they have to allow time for bag screening, they must send a passenger manifest to US Homeland Security prior to departure from Cancun, etc. Most checkin people at the airline have little sympathy for late check ins---unless you have a really valid excuse.

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

Ladybird50, I feel your pain. We just left Cancun this past Friday 8.22, picked up at our resort, the Valentin, at 9:00 a.m. for a 12:20 flight, got to check-in and found out our flight was going to be delayed 2 hours, as we would miss our connection in Denver we were re-booked to a later flight. By the time we cleared security and made our way upstairs our flight delay was now over 5 hours which meant we would miss the re-booked flight, once again we were re-booked for a later flight. Husband paid nearly $18 USD for 1 burger, fries and coke that was terrible and threw it away. After a while I got a Dominos pizza for us to share and a bottle of water for a whopping $23.70 USD. To add insult to injury our 2 flights with a combined flying time of 6 hours took 20 hours from the time we left the resort until we arrived home.

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
913 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport waits leaving Cancun recently?

we went through the airport twice (flight got cancelled) both times it took us less then 45 minutes to check in and get through security.