We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spiders

Info please.

My wife has a bit of a phobia about spiders.

Someone has told her there is a "Tarantula Season" in Mexico.

We had a look on the net and there does appear to be something round about Sept/Oct which, coincidentally, is when we're going next year.

Is this likely to be something we'd encounter in Cancun as I can't imagine the mess she'd leave on the pavemnent if she saw one while on holiday !

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders

I don't have a phobia about them but I sure don't like them. I've been there in October as well as other months of the year. Never encountered a spider (or any other bugs (except for flies)for that matter.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders

If you are staying at a big hotel in Cancun the odds are that you will not see one.

Now as you move down the coast to properties with more outside jungle and forest area they could be everywhere. They will not bite and are very timid.

Enjoy!

Cancun
Level Contributor
473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders

never heard of a tarantula season and in the 16 years i have been living here i might have seen one. and that's maybe :)

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders

I haven't seen any spiders on any of my trips to Cancun. However, it is the tropics, and the forest is close by, so I presume their are plenty of spiders if you go out into the forest and look for them. Which I would suggest is the key point, you need to get out of the hotel zone, and into the forest and look for spiders in order to encounter them.

-Jay

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiders

They, the tarantulas, are not a big problem but you dont have to go into the jungle to see them. I have seen several on the outside wall where I have lived in Cozumel. But has mentioned, they are shy and really not harmful---other than they might give me a heart attack!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiders

As Robert stated,I have seen tarantulas in Coz,but not in Cancun...There are plenty of Iguanas though...If you want,I can E-mail you a pic of a huge male tarantula taken at Albertos in Coz....It seems the males are out looking for females,they mate and then die shortly thereafter(like a bad marriage)...I know it is a phobia,but these guys are our buds,although I will never touch one on purpose...For some reason their venom is weak...In Texas,there are Black Widows and Brown recluses...I am way more afraid of these...I respect everyones phobias...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiders

Really, the tarantulas dont frighten me nearly as much as some other creatures I see around---the scorpions or the tourists in baloon hats. At least the tarantulas are not hiding as the scoripions often are---and the tourists in baloon hats, should be hiding.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiders

Thank you all for your info.

I'd better not mention scorpions to her either !!!

Cheers

9. Re: Spiders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 08:17