We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance to book for best pricing?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How far in advance to book for best pricing?

We're looking at a March 09 trip. Is there a best time to book in advance? We typically cruise each year and book 9+ months in advance with agencies that offer price guarantees. It doesn't look like a price guarantee is an option here.

Thanks,

Mark

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

Mark,

One thing that we ALWAYS do...we book many months in advance, too...(this year we booked in Feb., and are leaving next week)...we usually book through Apple Vacations, and when we do so we buy their AOK Travel insurance. When we do that...if the exact vacation you have booked goes on sale you can get that price. (even if you have already paid...then you get money back)

That is the best way to go...IMHO.

Hope this helps!

California
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

As a Palace member, I have all the prices sent to me a year in advance. I have no surprises and have not ever seen a better price than the one I pay. (Getting close though with some of the smaller agencies buying Palace memberships.)

Most airlines will give you a price guarantee if you ask.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

For our January trips I start looking at prices in the summer, then book around October. This last trip I booked in June as the hotel was almost booked up by then. I think if you don't have a particular place in mind, you can book in the fall and still get a good deal. If you are currently looking and find a good deal, book it. The airlines could hike prices again.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

March is the busiest month in Cancun, there are a lot of hotels/condos already sold out.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

HI Mark... if you travel with NWA WorldVacations or MLT out of MI .. they give you the option of price guarantee with their highest priced trip insurance..we booked one year, far in advance, then prices dropped and they adjusted the price..you just have to watch the fares and know their "rules" of getting it adjusted (complicated.. have to put a trip on hold.. contact them .. blah blah). Not really a hassle..but gotta play their game. The one thing that is in play this year is airfares... less flights..and they have really bumped them up. We're traveling in Nov..and the airfare compared to last year is up almost $250/ticket...and this is not high season. Some resorts are also offering early booking bonus-some good deals. Good Luck

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

Mark - You are looking at one of the high season months for Cancun in pricing. Apple Vacations gives you a price guanattee if you take there insurance package. When its just my wife and me we usaully start looking for a last minute deal 70 days before departure but you might be limited to resorts for month of March.... We usually travel to Cancun in early December and early February.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

Early Early Early

8. Re: How far in advance to book for best pricing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 10:22