We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Cancun

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Cancun

I will be traveling somewhere in mexico with my two daughters (ages 26 and 22) for Xmas this year. Looking for a luxury hotel, prefer all inclusive but doesn't absolutely have to be. Looking for great spa and great beach. We dont want to be at hotels where its all honeymooners.

Also, If anyone knows how the beaches are at the Riu Las Americanas let me know.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Cancun

We are traveling for Christmas with our older kids to The Royal Cancun. We went there with them in March and really liked it. There are honeymoon couples there but a mixture as well. There were some older kids and the animation team was fun. the rooms, food, views (all ocean front) and location near shopping and clubs were a real plus and no little kids. The Rius are very nice. Riu Las Americas would be up a step from the Riu Cancun but both are nice. Kids are allowed at both of these resorts though there is no kids club at the las Americas. The beaches there are quite nice. they would be bigger than The royal though it has been renovated since we were there in March. Sun Palace sounds nice though it is not close to the clubs so it depends what you are looking for in a location. I would think your girls may want to be close to the fun. We have gone to serveral of the clubs with our kids with the entertainment staff and had a ball together. The Rius are close to shopping and clubs as well.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Cancun

We have stayed during Christmas at the Ritz Carlton, that would be considered a luxury hotel - however not AI. It has a wonderful beach and there is a real mix of visitors. It was not cheap but very much worth it - although the hotel was booked to capacity, they made you feel like a million dollars, different gifts delivered every day to your room and the hotel is decorated so nicely for Christmas. No matter what you decide, you are going to need to get on it - because Christmas is very busy and fills up fast. Have fun planning your trip.

TX1

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Cancun

I considered the Ritz Carlton but my daughters were worried everyone there would be my age (over 50). Did you see any singles there in their 20's?

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Cancun

Mrs8-

Look into Dreams Cancun- It has everything you are looking for. It is AI. No wristbands or restaurant reservations required. Mixture of guests. It is located at the tip of the 7, so it is the only resort that has water on 3 sides. The bay side has calm water for swimming & water activities, the other side has waves. Nice beaches with lots of palapas/huts-food & beverage service to your chair.

Has an awesome spa ( so says my wife and she should know)perfect location- walking distance to clubs (for your daughters?) and to shopping. Choice of several restaurants. We did a family reunion/Christmas there last year with ages from 7-70 and everyone had a great time.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Cancun

Mrs8 -

to answer your question about the Ritz - you will see guests of ALL ages - families with their children of all ages - plenty of young adults as well as folks our age - plus if the girls go out at night they will see even more folks of their age.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Cancun

SeeSea was talking about kids clubs- think your daughters ware a little too old for that as they are adults. any hotel would be good-Rius are nice

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Cancun

katieinkc....I was talking about the kids clubs because I thought they may want to avoid places with lots of little kids LOL I know my older kids (late teens and twenties) like to go where there are no little kids but like to have some people around their age. The Royal is 16+. We also like a 5* hotels. We like to have fun and be close to clubs and shopping so The Royal works for us. We are returning for Christmas and can't wait!!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Cancun

We have been to the Riu Cancun, which is nextdoor to RPLA three times-once during Christmas. The beach is actually better at the Riu Cancun than at the RPLA. Guest at RPLA may also use the facilities and eat at the other Riu resorts like Riu Cancun and Riu Caribe, but the other Riu guests are limited to other non Riu Palace resorts.

Both the RPLA and the Riu Cancun are in excellent locations, withing walking distance to the major clubs and excellent shopping. There is always a good mix of ages at the Riu Cancun, so your family should be fine there.

9. Re: Christmas in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:16