We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

We just got back today, had a wonderful time, the hotel is great. I give it 5 stars. Any questions ask!

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

More info please. What was the status of construction? Which part of hotel did you stay in? How many restaurants were operating? How was the beach? Please please lay it all out for my wife and I. Thank you.

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

We stayed in the tower, room 2245. Very nice. Construction is nothing. Some painting and some floor work, didn't bother us at all!!!!

Beach is good, just walk down by the villas, there are huts to lay under and tons of beach chairs with great bar service.

Food was great all all the restaurants. We did buffet, ordered off of the menu and had room service too.

Mini bar was always full, great, no problems there.

Shower was nice, no trouble with hot water.

Shopping the the hotel is good, good prices. Vendors come in at night and set up, they are very nice.

We tipped the waiters and bartenders about $3-4 US each day, they were at our beck and call.

We just didn't have any problems, more specific questions, please ask! :)

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

There are 3 restaurants in the hotel. 1 only buffet, 1 buffet or menu, and one italian with reservation. All were great. SErvice is top notch. Drinks are great, not watered down at all.

Three pools, although we were on the beach, not much at the pool. We loved the ocean.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

what was the capacity like? I am going in January and it appears to be fully booked. Was it full when you went? Just curious what it's going to be like as far as waiting in line for a seat at restaurants or how crowded the beach may get. Thank you for all your info on this resort. We are getting so excited. 20 more days.

canada
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

We got back from Cancun saturday and had a great time there. We were supposed to stay at Gran Caribe. But when we got there, we had to wait for 2 hours because our room was not ready yet. When we ginally got our room, it was an "old room". So we complained and asked to get a "renovated" room but no other room were availlable so we then asked to be relocalized at Gran Costal Real. They were very kind and agreed immediatly. So We spent our week at Gran Costa with "NO EXTRA CHARGES". This hotel is REALLY great and fully renovated. So if you are planning on going to Gran Caribe, Really try to have a "new" room. And if you are not satisfied of anything, you can ask to be moved at Gran Costa or even Gran Porto. They should do it with a smile and even get you free transportation. We met 2 other couples who did the same.

But we met people who stayed at Gran Caribe and said they really had a great time there. Constructions did not seem to be a discussion subjet. Food at the buffet was repeating though. Be aware that the beach is small and the waves are big. Good for boogee boarding but a little dangerous by moment...

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

The hotel was booked full also when we were there. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a table to eat. Lines were never a problem. I am an early riser, so I would save us beach chairs in the morning, but there are a lot. The surf is big at this location, our kids loved it, and there was a life guard. We also went to the Gran Costa Real for a day. There is no surf there, calm water, kind of boring. We did the wave runner there, so it wasn;t as dangerous. Our resort seems much more lively that that one. We also met two couples that had switched resorts since the Caribe REal was full. They were happy with it.

Beware, we did see a lot of topless women at the Costa Real, not at the Caribe real, not a problem for me, but we did have our kids along so we avoided it. They were not real pretty also!

canada
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

I agree for the water, very calme and can get boring. good for young kids but as you said, lots of top less.

Gran Caribe seemed to me a little "younger" so maybe more parties.

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

As a family, the Gran Caribe was fine. I did not see any trouble with partying at all. Of course, we were in bed at 10-11 each night. The parties may have been later. Only one night did we hear some laughing and doors banging. There was tequila vollyball at the pool each day, but it was clean fun.

I think Cancun can be what you want it, a big party, or a relaxing fun time.

Woodbury, CT 06798
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

Wow! Great to hear you had such a good time. I am taking my family for Christmas, 12/23 - 12/31. Can you tell me whether or not the gym facility was open? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Marsi Claire

Primghar, Iowa
Level Contributor
360 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned today from the Gran Caribe Real

The gym is open, looked at it, but didn't use it. Walking on the beach in the morning is a great workout with not a lot of people. Some people we met used the gym daily. It is located in the Villas section, upper level, above the beauty salon.