We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Excursions? Fishing?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Best Excursions? Fishing?

Hey me and 3 other guys all around 23 years old are going down to Cancun Dec 15-22 and I was just wondering some good excursions people have gone on in the area that they think 20-something guys would be interested in. I've been to Chichen Itza and that was amazing but I think it's a little too far from Cancun for us this time. Also any suggestions on fishing charters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

bump,...any ideas? anyone? lol :) any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

2. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2008, 16:23
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

Thanks! alot of help...do you know how the fishing is down there? and if its relatively cheap? and where would be the best place to go and book a trip

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

Fishing in December is generally poor there's not a lot around apart from Barracuda which don't fight all that hard.

The Sailfish run is something you'll hear about but I doubt it will have started yet and the surrounding the water is too shallow for many Tuna or Marlin no matter how many pics someone posts on their website.

It's easy enough to find someone to take you for a boat ride but if you want to catch something then go down to the docks the day before and check out the returning boats.

Talk to the clients-find out how it went/was the boat well run/did they get their money's worth?

Then *deal only with the Capitan*-don't even talk to anyone on the dock/street who has pictures of boats/says he can get you a good deal-it's all Bait ' Switch.

Similarly never book through a hotel-they take a huge rakeoff and you'll end up paying one way or the other.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

Where are you staying? I have fished the last four years down there and love it. Let me know where you are staying and I will try to recommed from my fishing buddy down there where to go.

My wife and I will be down there Dec 10-17.

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

Hey Oldswimmer - Since you seem to be knowledgeable about fishing. My husband and I are staying at the Royals Sand 11/29-12/6 and he is wanting to go fishing. I was thinking of having him check out Peurto Morelos but I also heard there's a Marina across from the Royal Sands. Do you have any good ideas for him? I'd appreciate any adivce. Thanks.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

oldswimmer....i'm staying at the Riu Caribe I have heard that there are a few fishing charters around there but wouldnt mind travelling a little ways if it means we can get a really good charter....thanks for any info.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

I stay at the Barcelo Costa which is just up the road about 1/2 mile by the pirate ships at the end of the seven. Right in front of Temptations Resort is a big port for a lot of boats. log on to www.deepseafishingcancun.com Talk to Alex by email and he will get you set up. I think it is about 1 1/2 miles from your hotel. You can use the bus and it won't cost you much.

Shark fishing is good in December, not much for sail fishing. Last time I went with them I caught a trophy, huge Dorade. It was the coolest fish that you have ever seen in the water. The prices are listed on the web site. If you have 4 people it will help.

If you want really cheap go out to isla mujeres, which is right off the coast of you hotel, and you can fish for a couple hundred bucks. There are boats that will take you to the island real cheap as well and it is a neat place to visit.

A great snorkeling trip is right in front of your hotel. I think it is one of the best considering price and time to get there. I have seen amazing schools of fish and manta rays and a huge shark one year.

I you want to do that just talk to the guys that are renting jet ski's on the shore and ask them if they can take you out there or if they know someone that will take you out there. Don't pay more than $30 a person for a couple of hours. It will only take you 5 minutes in a boat and it is right in front of your hotel and stretches out to where the "7" makes its turn.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other advise.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

That is amazing information thank you very much I will definitely look into all those options!

10. Re: Best Excursions? Fishing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 10:18