We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Beach Erosion

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
More Beach Erosion

According to todays Por Esto newspaper, severe beach erosion has occured in some areas. According to them the hotels Avalon, Beach Palace, Hyatt y Flamingo have been left with mostly rocks and little beach.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Beach Erosion

Thanks Robert. Not good news but not surprising. Like others, I remember (pre Wilma) when that whole stretch of beach was just about perfect. Of course our first trip to Cancun was almost 15 years ago and we have seen so many changes both good and not so good.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Beach Erosion

I wont admit to how long ago my first trip was to Cancun, but, like you, remember the days of the beautiful, perfect beaches. I do not believe any amount of money or effort can ever restore what nature has taken away.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Beach Erosion

I noticed that the beach by the Crown Paradise lost about 30 feet between 2000 and 2003, even before Wilma.

It's amazing what the Gran Caribe/Royal Cancun have done with their beaches recently. Such efforts should be followed with wave blocks like the rock piers they have built there to help prevent future erosion.

Anything can be done if the funds are available. Palm Island in Dubai is a prime example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybVe8eXXqw

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Beach Erosion

We have been visiting for many years too and have seen the changes with each trip. We are headed down in December and are looking for suggestions on which beaches are best. We are staying along the top of the "7" and want to spend a day where the waves are. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More Beach Erosion

Here's a picture of the Beachless Palace from today.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Fortunately, you can still reach the beach next door from here which is rocky as you enter the water, but usable and totally calm today.

chicago
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More Beach Erosion

RobertSDF, you are not just kidding. OMG, the water at rest, (not waves) is at least three-four feet deep-at the wall of Beach Palace. Won't that eventually just eat away at that wall? The waves crashing into it can't be a good thing. It seems as if it will be swallowed up by the ocean. Why would Palace Resorts rebuild a property like this obviously in peril?

chicago
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: More Beach Erosion

Just checked out talldark's photo link. When I saw the beach at BP today, it was covering the rocks at the wall. I didn't even see them.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: More Beach Erosion

Has no one ever wondered why the "Beach Club" (original name), had to be demolished and rebuilt after H. Wilma and reconstituted as the "Beach Palace"? Does anyone out there remember when the original BC pool was washed away after Gilbert back in 1988? I do..... So, why would anyone be surprised that the waves crash right up on the new pool wall?

IMO, when the beach front anywhere is not allowed to "BREATHE" and "SHIFT" naturally because of excessive construction greed encroaching upon nature's natural ebb and flo.... then you have what we see in Cancun... the loss of white sandy, naturally air-conditioned beaches....

Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: More Beach Erosion

I just find it funny that they call it the "Beach Palace" and there isnt a shred of beach to be found. Maybe they should call it "Wall Palace".

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: More Beach Erosion

CancunMole,

I joined the Beach Club the year before Hugo hit. I brought my girlfriend here the next year after bragging about the fantastic beach which was so wide it had volleyball nets, hammocks, and even a huge plastic fish you could take a picture next to and convince folks it was a real fish.

She came with me to discover no beach and half a pool area. But the pool was open and they even played water volleyball and had water aerobics and other activities.

They shuttled us to the Sheraton for their beach which was imported somehow.

Over the years, the beach had steadily improved until Wilma hit, but it never approached its the pre-Hugo wonderfulness.

The New Beach Palace seems to be hit even worse than its neighbors possibly because of its strange concave sea wall.