We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun to tulum - travel tips?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cherry city, oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cancun to tulum - travel tips?

Hello, I am looking for travel info from Cancun to Tulum. There are two of us, and we are wanting to visit the ruins and possibly the Hidden Worlds Cenote Park as well. Is there enough time to visit the ruins and the hidden parking one day?

What is the best way to travel from Cancun to Tulum, confort wise and price wise?

Any other tips in general are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Oregon

washington dc
Level Contributor
702 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

We are a family of four and we are booking with AGI tours for a private vehicle and bilingual guide just for our family. They seemed very responsive and reasonable.

http://www.agitours.com/agi-tours.html

From what I have read, Tulum is about 45 min from Cancun and the ruins and surrounding takes about 2 hours. We plan to go to Xcaret after lunch. You would certainly have time for Tulum and cenote.

If you want to contact AGI tours, email Javier (you can tell him that Ulka recommended his tour).

Javier Gonzalez <agitours@agitours.com>

Ulka

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

We drive to Tulum area most times we are in Cancun, the drive is 1.5h at least. When you reach Tulum there is a tram that takes you to ruins. 2 hours is enough for the site unless you plan to spend some time on the beach there - one of the most spectacular beaches anywhere, with ancient ruins on cliffs above and huge iguanas roaming freely - one-of-a-kind picture opportunity. I wouldn't miss it.

I would then go to Hidden Worlds in the afternoon when it is hotter since cenotes are quite cool(temp.)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

We were at Tulum last Tuesday. We toured with Alvaro Tours who is located in the hotel zone. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get to the ruins and we were there about 2 1/2 hours total. It was probably close to 4 pm before we got back to the hotel. Hope that helps.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

We were at Tulum last Tuesday. We toured with Alvaro Tours who is located in the hotel zone. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get to the ruins and we were there about 2 1/2 hours total. It was probably close to 4 pm before we got back to the hotel. Hope that helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

Can you tell me what the cost was of the Alvaro Tour? Would you recommend going?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

It was $40.00pp. We negoiated. We had to get a taxi to the meeting area and we split the cost with the tour co.($5.00) Tip for driver and tour guide.$10. Everyone was dropped off at there hotels. Professional co and the cost was a little less than had we booked from the hotel. I'm glad we went, but once was enough. The beach was beautiful. I can imagine if it were hot it would have been torture though. For us it was a little longer than we wanted to spend riding in a bus. Have fun.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
626 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

For two, renting a car and driving works well and saves money. Easy drive -- just don't speed.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

piaratefan11...did this bus trip include lunch?? how long of a day was it and who did you book thru..did you do it online or from a private tour operator.

thanks

North Carolina
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

Lunch was not included. We just grabbed a couple of margaritas and chips at the ruins. We brought a few snacks as well as bottled water. Other details in above reply.

10. Re: cancun to tulum - travel tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 07:16