We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shawnee, Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Cancun

I have been to Cancun twice and have gone to Isla Muejeres, Xaret, and Xel-Ha. We are going again in December. I loved Isla Muejeres. Any suggestions for other fun things to do while in Cancun? We will be there 6 nites. Thanks!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Cancun

Visit some of the Mayan ruins like Tulum, Coba, or Chichen Itza. Or you could visit Cozumel island. The Jeep Adventure tour is also very good. The website is

http://www.jeepadventures.com.mx/index.cfm

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Cancun

Greeting from Nebraska! We will be fyling out of MCI on Dec 10th. One thing that we will not be able to do which is not much loss is take in a Cheifs game. I would try the jungle tour, where you drive your own speed boat and snorkel. Fishing with some of the local fisherman is fabulous. One of the things that we enjoy the most is getting to know the staff where we stay and asking them, or doing something with them. It is a great way to see the area as the locals do.

When do you go?

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Cancun

You should definitely take the ferry to Cozumel if you have not been. Go early in the morning, spend the day in Cozumel and then have a nice dinner in Playa del Carmen and do some shopping!

Akumal is a good place to go for snorkeling. Yal-Ku Lagoon. This is where the freshwater and the sea water mix so it's a great place to snorkel. You will see lots of fish!

We are heading back for our 2nd trip next weekend and one new thing we are going to try is the Ziplines! This is the company we are going through www.selvatica.com.

So much to do and not enought time :)

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Cancun

Jaimekm we did the extreme zip lines with selvatica in October and loved it!! They are supposed to be much faster than the regular ones but we have never done the reg ones...just thought you might like that little bit of info!! The guides were great too bring bug spray for when you get out of the cenote the mosquitos are amazing!!

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Cancun

Thanks Cancun!! That makes me feel more at ease because there were a couple of other companies I was thinking of using. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time because I am truly afraid of heights but I really want to try to experience this!! Thanks for the advice on spray, I had heard that. Did you wear your suit under your clothes or was there a place to change? Was it a physically exhausting experience? Thanks again!

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Cancun

no it wasnt exhausting just very very very hot

they picked us up at 8:30 at our hotel we have to p/u 2 other people then about an hour later we turned off the highway and drove down a dirt road for quite a bit to get there its really in the middle of jungle. My advice would be to bring your own bandana, they give you a disposable one that is part plastic like for under your helmet for sanitary reasons but my gosh it made you sweat like crazy and they give you disp. gloves to go under your zip gloves, you have to climb a lot of stairs around the trees and stand and wait sometimes for a while. Dont worry about the heights 1.2 the time y ou only see green, not the ground...I changed into my suit after. I wore a sports bra, work out shirt w.wik away and bicycle type shorts which were very comfy as the harness goes thru both your legs, for the guys no short shorts lol they really get "bunched" up...the girls who did it with us had their suits on under their clothes and they were soaked from sweat,lots of climbing but at a slow pace, try to do the earlier one we couldnt as it was booked. the have lockers $5 deposit and sell beer and stuff after,,,they give you lunch though too...we didnt take the bikes, opted for the ac van and a cold beer you have a choice with that part too

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Cancun

Thanks so much Cancun! A true woman's review, I love it. You answered exactly what I would want to know :) Good to know they have the cold beers! I will put the banadana in the suitcase tonight :) 9 more days and counting! If you think of anything else let me know. So did you see any wildlife there?

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Cancun

actually no that was the disappointing part, no monkeys, no birds, etc. Daniel was one of our guides as well as Carlos and they were awesome very nice and funny...you can't use the bug spray till after you swim as the locals use that cenote as their drinking water, but can spray yourself after I swear I had 20 at once on me...anyway, dont let the water get into your mouth if you can help it. We bought the dvd then had it copied at home for the other 2 with us and mailed it ...bought the pics too...dont forget to wear your sneakers and bring flip flops for the swim time...

Shawnee, Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Cancun

We will be there Dec. 14-20th. Have you ever taken the ferry over to Cozumel?

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Cancun

I haven't no, sorry ...just to Isla Mujeres every time we are there..