We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkel from shore near EPM?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
snorkel from shore near EPM?

Heading to EPM February 20-27 and looking to go snorkeling. I've only been once, years ago in Cozumel, and freaked when I first got in and was surrounded by fish in my face. EEEK! Someone had apparently brought tortillas to feed the fish and it was right where I went in. Needless to say, I haven't tried since but promised to try this year while at EPM. I want to go where I can get in from the shore and at my own pace. Something about the fish touching me freaks me out so if I can just "SEE" them and enjoy the cool colors and species, I'd love it. Any advice on where we could go? Isla Mujeres? Thanks.

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
701 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkel from shore near EPM?

You can borrow snorkel equipment from Aquaworld to use of the beach at the EPM, however they have limited gear to lend out and there is not much to see off the beach. If you really want to see some marine life then they offer tours through Aquaworld on site for a price. I would assume if you traveled to Isla you could arrange your own trip and rent gear there but I can't say as I haven't tried it. Xel-Ha is a bit far (and there is better snorkling available) but it is a good place in my opinion for someone a little on edge about it. You are in a lagoon not out in the open water. The closer you get to the ocean the bigger the fish get so if you stay near the enterance points you will see some nice fish without feeling threatened or anything. there is also a lazy river to get a tube and float down. I saw a sea turtle while going down stream. Other activities also available and they offer an all inclusive package that includes food and drink (including beer). You can get a locker and towel there as well so it makes it easy to make a day out of it.

good luck

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkel from shore near EPM?

Thanks, I agree that Xel Ha is quite far, but I will check it out. And yes, the thought of being dropped-off in the middle of the sea to snorkel has me a bit on-edge so Xel Ha might be the best choice. Appreciated!

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkel from shore near EPM?

I went to Peurto Morelos and snorkeled there twice last week. I'm not sure this would be for you or not. The 2nd time we snorkeled we saw big stingrays but it was quite unbelievable. We saw sea turtles as well and many many fish. The nice thing about snorkeling here is that you will have to wear a life vest and the guide stays with you the entire time so you would feel very safe. The water was a little cold! But it was wonderful snorkeling and no one will feed the fish so for the most park the fish swim AWAY from you :)

4. Re: snorkel from shore near EPM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 21:19