We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling

Vancouver
7 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling

Hello,

My question is more a general inquiry. I have never been snorkelling and lots of tours include snorkelling.

I am an average swimmer.

Whats skills are required for snorkelling?

What sort of equipment is required for snorkelling?

In term of swimming how good do you need to be?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

AquaWorld
Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Total Snorkel
Scuba & Snorkeling
Underwater Women
Scuba & Snorkeling
NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling

We were in Cancun a month ago and went to two

tours that included snorkelling and both times we

were required to wear life vests which makes it

very safe even if you are just an avg. swimmer so

you will be fine.

They provide the face mask and snorkel but it's a good idea to bring your own snorkel and just use their mask. (Don't know about you but I don't like the idea of using a snorkel somebody else used even if it's been washed) One of the tours we did was

through Aquaworld and they give you a snorkel to keep so at least with them you don't need to worry about using somebody else's)

... almost forgot . they also supply the swim fins.

Have fun !

Mentioned in this post
AquaWorld
AquaWorld
3,713 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling

We've been to Xel Ha a couple times, and it was great. You have the option to wear one of their lifevests, or go without.

It's a large eco-park, lots of fish to see.

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling

I agree with the first post. If you are snorkeling on any of the "park" reefs you will have to wear a life vest so you would be perfectly fine. I too would suggest purchasing a snorkel for around $10 and then using the other equipment provided by the guides. Don't forget to look into snorkeling in Peurto Morelos - we went twice last week and it was amazing!! And when you snorkel there you have to follow the guide which would also make you feel safer for a beginner! Generally most hotels offer free lessons at the resort, you could take a lesson at the resort and that would also help you feel more comfortable when you actually go out!

connecticut
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling

we have snorkled on the jungle tour and at isla mujeres and every time we were given a brand new plastic sealed snorkel that you keep and take home with you.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling

we were on the jungle tour and we got the snorkel to keep. its pretty cheap but does the trick.

since youre in vancouver...go to COSTCO now! they have a wicked Body Glove snorkel set on for 50 bucks. fins, really good snorkel that has a valve that doesnt let water in down the pipe, fins, a goggle bag and a large mesh bag to carry it all. i got the set on sun dec 7.

wicked

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling

...and really good goggles included in that too!

7. Re: Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:21