We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random topless beaches

michgirl08
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Random topless beaches

I'm going to Cancun, staying at the Sands over Christmas. I have three teenage boys. I've been warned to be careful where you go, that there are topless beaches everywhere. Can anyone tell me the realities of this? Not that they haven't seen....hmmm...can I say it on here? Starts with a "b"......but, I don't feel like picking up my sons chins off the ground either!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random topless beaches

There will be topless women on every beach in Cancun and the Riviera Maya. I suppose it's just something that folks from the US have to deal with and get used to. Most of the time, what you see is discreet and in my opinion, not "politically correct" like we've been conditioned to view self body image in the States. Don't worry, just go and have a great time..

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random topless beaches

Try doing a search of the Yucatan Peninsula forums for "topless" - you'll get a zillion hits because this is a topic that comes up over and over again (ad nauseum!).

Topless sunbathing may not be legal in Mexico but it's certainly tolerated at many beaches. I've seen it all along the Mayan Riviera and in Puerto Vallarta too. So it's highly likely that you and your sons will see some topless sunbathing at the beach. For the most part, these women are quite discret about it (i.e. they'll be topless when sunbathing but will don a top to walk around or frolic in the surf). It's also quite likely that women of all ages, shapes and sizes will be topless, especially the European ones. Topless sunbathing is not something practiced exclusively by 20-year old hotties.

Many hotels, especially the "family friendly" types, do not permit topless sunbathing around their pools. This varies quite a bit from resort to resort though, so you may want to do a search of "Sands" and "topless" to see if you can get more info on your specific destination.

The general consensus (and I can personally attest to this) is that it's quite a novelty for the first day or two, max. After that it's rather a case of "you've seen one, you've seen them all" and the shine kinda goes off the whole thing. Of course, this is a sweeping generalisation; there are many people who find the whole thing somewhat "titillating" (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist) for the duration of their vacation. Maybe that's what keeps them coming back!!!

The parents of teens will often buy large sunglass for their male offspring so any ogling is, at least, a tad more discreet.

If you find it offensive, you may prefer to avoid Mexico .... and most of Europe too, where topless sunbathing is practically de rigeur!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random topless beaches

blah... let your boys have some fun, they're on vacation! :D

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random topless beaches

Yes.. there will be a few on the beaches, but security usually makes women keep the tops on around the pool.

I myself make sure I have a mirrored pair of sunglasses so they can't tell I'm staring.

michgirl08
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Random topless beaches

Thanks for all the information. I'm letting my sons know, if they DO ogle, I'm taking my top off too! I think that should take care of it! hahahahhaha

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random topless beaches

michgirl08, great attitude! :-)

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random topless beaches

LOL!! Yeah, way to spoil it for them Mom....I can't just see their faces now! Good one.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random topless beaches

if you go to europe you'll see topless models on billboards in paris etc. it doesn't seem to turn the men into raging sex maniacs.

i got news for you your boys have probably seen plenty of topless women on the internet and in magazines. seeing them live is actually a positive thing compared with other mediums.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random topless beaches

Michgirl08..

when and where will you be topless at again? I'll make sure to bring my sunglasess.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Random topless beaches

good thinking mich girl. I for one do not agree with the topless bathing as I just see no point of it as they make a tan through swim suit which I invested in and works great. But whos to say what it would be like at an adults only resort where there are no kids then it would be a different story. As for mexico I have 4 children and don't care for it but will put up with it but I am sure it will be fine, the woman just better be prepared for my 4 year old to point away and scream boobies from the top of his lungs. LOL Should be interesting!!!