We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

I guess this is directed more towards those who live in or know people who live in Mexico...

In another thread on this forum someone said that the hotel workers would LOVE to get US dollars for tips because the dollar is so strong right now. In other threads (a while back) I remember reading that the workers had a hard time getting good exchange rates or maybe it was that they had a hard time exchanging money. I can't remember exactly what it was. Any how, I'm thinking it would be way easier for me to tip in dollars because that's what I know, rather than doing the math (13 pesos to a dollar, five dollars for the housekeeper equals 65 pesos... catch my drift?) to tip in pesos. What are your thoughts on this? Can the hotel workers easily exchange the money (at a decent exchange rate)?

Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

I go on a rough calculation of 10 pesos equals a dollar. I know it's not exact but it's what's easiest for my math challenged self.

Here's how I decide if I tip with dollars or pesos. If I'm in a place that requires getting money quickly, I use dollars. They're quick to see. With pesos, I have to take the time to make sure I'm choosing the right coins. For the maid or anyone else where time isn't a constraint, I use pesos.

I do try to use pesos when I can because I believe it's easier for the folks to use...no running to the bank necessary. All of us are busy people, no matter where we live. I have to admit that I never gave thought to the exchange rate issues you raise.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

Think of all the people who do not tip. With that in mind AND they can spend USD without exchanging to pesos AND they accept USD or pesos, use whatever you want.

If you want to tip $1 USD would you prefer carrying $14 USD bills or a bunch of 10 pesos coins? What about a three dollar tip?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

OOPS. $14 should be $1

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

There's an interesting forum discussion on this a year or so back at (as a point of reference the exchange rate wasn't running close to 14 to 1, pesos to US Dollar, at that point as it is now):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k123570…

Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

Co Pilot, could you please clarify what you mean by "Think of all the people who do not tip"? I truly don't understand what you're trying to say.

As for carrying paper or a bunch of coins, we Canucks are already used packing coins around. *grin*

Dangers, thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

I suspect that many people do not tip. If correct, then most people would appreciate tips in USD or pesos given that both are spendable there.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

The number of people who do not tip is really disheartening. We've been here a week and have watched countless people leave bars and restaurants without leaving even a dollar on the table. These people work their tails off and make so little, I'm sure they'd be grateful for any tip, regardless of the currency.

As US is so widely accepted here I don't think they'd have any trouble spending or changing it. In fact, I'd think the locals would be able to get a better rate of exchange than we would, as they know the best places to change it.

I wasn't sure what to get either, so I brought $300 US just for tipping. I also bought $100 worth of pecos once I got here. We're leaving in the morning, and we're going home with $18 US, and about 200 pecos, both of which should be gone by the time we get to the airport, lol.

If you're unsure of what to bring, bring a little of both, it'll all be put to good use for tips! :)

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

From what I have heard and I do not know if it's fact or fiction the only places that don't accept USD are the untility companies.

As we tourists are able to spend USD at bars, restaurants, WalMart and Mega why would the bartenders and guest room attendants (maids) not be able to? They do not have to go to the bank, they just go to the store.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

Hello

Most defenitly tips in us dollars. as your time is so much more important than thiers. after working 10-12 hours a day they would love to stand in line and convert that money into peso's. after all you have more important things to do down there like sitting on the beach or at the bar.

mark

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping with US dollars better than tipping with pesos?

Mark.. thats really not a well thought out statement.

I'm not positive.. but I'm pretty sure that there is no law on the books in Mexico that says only Americans can spend USD.

As previously stated, if I can go and spend USD almost anywhere.. I'm sure the locals can do the same.

That said.. I bring several hundred USD cash. When that runs out, I get Pesos from an ATM. So I use both and I don't think it really makes a difference.