We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Cancun

Central NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in Cancun

I read a lot of posts on this, but I'm still not sure whether I should rent a car...

First off, I'm going for 7 days, 6 nights next week staying at the Avalon Baccara. We are not going AI. I've got an Alamo rental lined up because of the ridiculously low rate ($55 for the week). I figure I have to get the $11 per day car rental insurance, so add another $77 to the rental...for a grand total of $132.

I'm not 100% sure what we'll be doing. We are definitely going to see Chichen Itza and maybe head to Tulum (still iffy on this)...as for the rest of the time, who knows?

We're going to take the buses at night when drinking but I was wondering if you think its worth it to rent the car for the day time? or should i take buses to Chichen Itza and Tulum (if we go). The hotel lists free parking (if anyone has any experience, do tell....)....also wondering if the beaches and ferry to isla mujeres, as well as the downtown area, have good parking at reasonable rates...?

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas....

Central NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

Bump. Thanks for any help. :-)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

Ichbinallein,

If you are adventurous, renting a car is usually not a problem, but make sure you take out all insurance on the car. Another thing I guess asking is whether this is your first trip to Cancun or not. I usually tell people if this is your first time let other people do the driving, as Cancun can get very confusing. In fact to tell you the truth we have been there 4 times a year for over 10 years now and I still let them drive, just makes everything easier.

Going to Chichen Itza is much better taking a private car, the bus to me takes too long and parking is plentiful. Tulum is pretty much the same but watch out for the police check points going to Tulum. As for parking at Puerto Juarez, they have a new garage to park in so that shouldn't be an issue also. I wish you the best of luck and have a great time.

Rlouisa

Central NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

Thanks for the info. I am a bit adventurous and just to further it, I have driven LA at rush hour, down through Mexico to Puerto Penasco, in Puerto Rico (which can be crazy and seems a bit like Cancun might be) and the autobahn in Germany so I'm not faint of heart when it comes to driving...

this will be our first trip to cancun and i guess my biggest concern is parking around town...we'll probably only use the car a few times, but i hate the buses and tours...i'm more of a get out and do it ourselves, mingle with the locals kind of traveler...

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

we love the bus in town- cant get more mingling with the locals than the bus

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

ichbinallein, We have been renting a jeep the last few years. We love having the freedom to enjoy the ruins or other excursions on our own. We do however only rent for a couple of days. But at that price, even if it sits in the parking lot at your resort you wouldn't be out too much if you only used it a couple of times. Parking is at a premium at most areas in the hotel zone, such as at resturants and shops so taking the bus works great then. Linda

marengo,IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

i usually rent a car while there for a least 2 days...the best advice i can give to anyone...avoid driving downtown...i'll never try that again....head south lol

7. Re: Renting a car in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 22:16