We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu hotels

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Riu hotels

Sounds like Riu is great for AI in Cancun, esp Riu Cancun and Riu Palace, but we are on a budget and considering Riu Caribe (others are a bit out of our price range).

If staying at Riu Caribe, do you have full access to the grounds and restaurants at the other Rius?

Any feedback specific to Riu Caribe? Is it too far away- or will that not really matter? We'll be going out every night to the clubs... and want to have a fun atmosphere at the hotel during the day too.

Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu hotels

From what I have read here, you do not have access to the Riu Palace Las Americas

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
112 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu hotels

I stayed at the Riu Caribe and did not have access to the others, I was told.

The Riu Caribe was a very good hotel to stay at, no night club but a lobby band that changed daily.

I really liked their beach area and the food was generally very good. The staff really went out of their way to be fun and helpful.

There's a Carlos 'n Charlies almost across the street.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu hotels

The Carlos and Charles moved. They are nolonger across the street from Riu Caribe. They are now located in the mall beside Hard Rock Cafe.... I miss the old location though, it was such a blast!!!

Anyway, I think that you will have a good time at the Riu Caribe. I've stayed there before, and it's a nice place. You really do need to try for the Riu Cancun though... You can find really good deals everywhere on the net. I just book for Labor Day weekend and got everything for $600.00 that's really cheap for this hotel!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,059 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu hotels

If you are planning on going in September, Applevacations has the Caribe for $729.00 plus taxes and the Palace Las Americas for $899.00 plus tax. I have been to the palace, that is a great price, well worth the addtional $150.00. You can visit the Cancun and Caribe if staying at the palace (we did).

Va
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu hotels

If you stay at the Caribe, you can also use the Riu Cancun. Just not the Riu Palace. The Riu Caribe is the same class of hotel as the Riu Cancun. It is not lower by any means.

As far as the clubs are concerned, the Riu Cancun is closer to most of the action, but the Caribe is only a very short bus ride away.

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu hotels

Just wanted to add the the RIU Palace and RIU Cancun are right next to each other.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu hotels

So I have found the Riu Caribe for $700 AI from Chicago in November... If I consider going for the Riu Cancun instead -- how much more money do you all think that would be worth? I don't know HOW MUCH better it would be-- should we pay an extra $50, $100, $150, etc. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu hotels

bump

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,059 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu hotels

Are you looking thru Funjet? I know for sure they let you upgrade without a fee if the price is more. Honestly, we spent one night at the Riu Caribe before getting upgraded to the Riu Palace. My PERSONAL opinion, they are both very nice, but I would go to the Riu Cancun for $100-$150 more. the location is really nice, you can walk to a lot of places, not from the Caribe. And it's just newer. But the Caribe is a bit more spread out, especially the pool area. I didn't get the "wow" feeling when we walked in to the Riu Caribe like I did when we visited the Riu CAncun. Absolutely stunning. The Palace is outstanding, but not for everyone. But that would be $150-$200 more for me.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu hotels

Thanks ZsaZsa...

We are booking through Liberty Travel... found the best deals from them. Turns out Riu Cancun has all their regular rooms sold out so we'd have to get a jr suite-- it's about $130 more a person...

Looks like we are going to stick with the Caribe since one girl is coming from Phoenix- she's already paying $850 for the Caribe and doesn't want it to be almost $1000.