We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gran caribe

derry n.ireland
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
gran caribe

heading to the gran caribe on tuesday and am terrified after reading some of the reviews anyone with positive advice as there is nothing i can do now to change it

thankyou

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gran caribe

we have stayed there- you will have a great time- enjoy

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gran caribe

We are going there on Feb 20th. I have a concern with the timeshare sharks... the reviews have me worried. Also the pressure to upgrade.

Fill us in when you return jojoderry. Thanks!

derry n.ireland
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gran caribe

Thanks for the comment katie,

to be honest im not that concerned about the timeshare sharks tho they seem to be serious pests,

its the quality of food and conditions of the rooms etc that im concerned about the most as generally this is what every one complains about the most,

we are traveling with a english tour operator first choice who ive travelled with before and there reps are 1st class so i hope any problems i have they will sort out for me quickly,

well il be back before you go so i shall send you an up date on all thats going on and hopefully put ur mind at ease

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gran caribe

From what I read, the rooms are basically nice & very clean. The food is pretty standard to most resort buffets. But at least you can leave the resort & get great food at the restaurants nearby, if you choose. Bubba Gumps Shrimp House is fabulous! Great menu & very large portions... Hard Rock Cafe is excellent too.

Thanks a bunch! Have a great time!!

western new york
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: gran caribe

How long are you going to be there? We leave next Sat. the 31st and we are also staying at the Gran Caribbe. We are somewhat concerned also.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: gran caribe

We stayed at the GCR just before Christmas and had a great time.

We two rooms, my husband and I on the VIP floor which was a wonderful room and great view. My teenage boys had their own room on the 2nd floor with a beach view amd walk down. They paid $40 more per night - upgraded during the online check in. Ours was pre-booked thru Expedia. The boys room was fine, too.

If you upgrade to the VIP roon, you can eat at all the restauants at the Royal next door too. Make more than one reservation at Maria's and order several appetizers and the Mexican coffee. The appetizers are great....the entree's so-so.

Make breakfast a must with build your own omelets and yummy fresh fruit....also mimosa's.

Take beach shoes for the beach - some rocks in water. Waves are wonderful.

We had a great time, and you will too! Life is what you make it!

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gran caribe

We booked an Oceanfront room. Does anyone know if that includes the VIP lounge? Just curious...

Bonnie

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: gran caribe

One more thing to add. We were never approached by timeshare sharks to do a tour. The closest to it was Bestday (our airport transportation) which was located in lobby. They called both our rooms on the 2nd day and made it seem important that we come down right away and schedule our return transportation.

We didn't do this till later in the week, and no one ever called our room again. We were never approached at either the Royal or at GCR. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: gran caribe

The VIP lounge is on the 6th floor only. You will probably have an option to upgrade during online check in or at the resort.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: gran caribe

jojoderry - I have stayed at the GCR for the past five years and obviously love the property. ShellyMex has given you accurate information in my opinion.

In the past five years that I’ve stayed at the GCR, I've had one lady approach me about my interest in their timeshare opportunities. I politely said no thank you and was not bothered after that.

The beach is slowly making a comeback after the hurricane – ya! So I am looking forward to enjoying a few games of beach volleyball. You can view the beach via the GCR webcam, which is located on their website. I check it out everyday.

The only concern I have right now is the weather. I've seen too many cloudy days when I view the webcam. My last bit of advice is give a favorable tip to the wait staff and you'll be treated wonderfully the rest of the week.

I will be there with friends from Feb. 15 - 22.

Enjoy