We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Does anyone know if there is a separate boarding line at the gate for first or elite flyers on NWA? Or is it like in PV where there is only one line? Also, we had our carryon bags hand searched at the gate in PV before boarding as well which slowed things down for those of us near the end of the line. Will the same be done when leaving Cancun? Thanks for your help!

Michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Yes, there is a separate check-in line. Probably saved us at least an hour. IMO the biggest benefit of first class was the quick luggage check/ check in in Cancun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Oops...at the gate there is only one line...they called the first class passengers, but we had to beat our way through the crowd to get to the gate door.

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Thank you Shoup. We are not checking luggage but will carry on. Do you remember if you got to board first or waited in one line?

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Oops from me too! I was posting at the same time you were. Thanks!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

They do hand search everyone at the gate before boarding. We usually fly whatever is cheapest out of MSP and haven't done NWA for years so I don't know about that part. We just flew AeroMexico (worryfreevacations.com) in January with no complaints at all. Showed a movie and served a meal with snacks and free alcoholic beverages. I heard from someone else who usually flies SunCountry that they now have discontinued serving a snack, too. If things keep going this way we'll have to bring our own lawn chairs for the plane or pay for an "upgrade" to theirs.

Cheryl

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Thanks Cheryl. Yes, Suncountry stopped the snacks last year. We always used them to Florida but they have canceled a few flights on us in the past year so back to NWA we go. Flying RST/MSP/CUN this trip so it was either AA or NWA-girls trip using our hubby's FF miles!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Sounds fabulous to me! I've been flying Delta to visit my mother in Virginia and I'm not so sure how that's all going to work out. Any thoughts? I am used to NWA for everything but Cancun and just haven't gotten acclimated to Delta yet.

Cheryl

California
Level Contributor
371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

I'm not sure how much it will affect us here in MN. When we lived in Boston we used Delta quite a bit-direct to FLorida & the Caribbean was great! My husband is Plat. Elite on NWA & he thinks when the FF programs merge there will be alot of unhappy business travelers from both airlines because the competition for the coveted "upgrade" will double. I do remember connecting through Atlanta on Delta could be a nightmare at times!

michigan
Level Contributor
412 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

Don't you still all have to get on a bus and drive to the plane and board outside? I thought that was the way we did it last time. so it did not matter what part of the plane you were on.

Sandy

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Separate Line For First Class Boarding @ Gate Flying NWA?

sandyjoe,

No! Thank heavens! We haven't done that in years. All flights we've been on for the past number of years have had walkways to the gate area. Much nicer, frankly. I, too, remember those days and they weren't enjoyable.

Cheryl